What is better than a grilled cheese? Not much! These sliders are snack size, butter, golden, cheesy and have pesto, dried cranberries, turkey and plenty of gooey cheese!
Sometimes a grilled cheese sandwich is more than a grilled cheese sandwich. To be honest I enjoy even the simplest grilled cheese.
You know the kind, the old childhood favorite of a slice of American cheese sandwiched between two slices of white sandwich bread toasted with a bit of butter.
Of course you could serve it up with some tomato soup and really go for the gusto. I mean, you might as well for old time sake and I wouldn’t blame you one bit.
There is something about the buttery toasty simplicity of all that makes me hungry just thinking about it. But sometimes you want something a bit more.
There are so many different flavorful combinations you could put together. Whatever your favorite sandwich is, there is a pretty good chance it would be better grilled up.
That leads me to my toasty taste combination. I was toying with a few different ideas when inspiration struck.
My friend, Tish, used to make a delicious sandwich. She put a schmear of mayo, some pesto, plenty of turkey, some cheese and dried cranberries all on some hearty bread.
It sounds like quite the combination, but it really works. The sweet cranberries, fresh herby pesto and all that turkey. I thought it would make a perfect grilled cheese!
Then the wheels really got turning. What if I did it on smaller rolls and made sliders. Now we were firing on all cylinders.
My grocery store has a nice selection of fresh baked breads and rolls. I wanted something whole wheat and they had perfect little cocktail buns that fit the bill nicely.
So, I picked up the rest of ingredients and headed home to make something delicious. I am glad to say it was every bit as good as I envisioned!
To be honest, I wasn’t sure what my husband would think. He isn’t usually big on sweet in his savory food but he ate four of them and complimented them every few bites.
He said he’d happily write a review if I needed one. So I’d say it was a winner all the way around.
- 6 wheat dinner rolls or cocktail buns
- 2 Tablespoon pesto
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices shaved turkey
- 4 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat a griddle or electric skillet to medium.
- Slice the buns in half, keeping them attached if possible. Turn them inside out and spread pesto on the inside of half of the rolls.
- Sprinkle with cranberries.
- Put half of the cheese on top of the cranberries and the other half on the other side. Put the turkey between the layers of cheese and put it all together.
- Spread butter over the now inside out rolls and place on hot skillet. Cover if possible to allow the cheese to melt. When the bottom is golden brown, flip the sliders and continue to cook until the cheese is melty and the bread is toasty and golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 30g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.