These simple ham, egg and cheese sliders are perfect for any meal, but they make a great make ahead breakfast. Scrambled eggs, ham, cheese and rolls come together to make a great hand held meal that the whole family will love.
Breakfast sandwiches are one of life’s simplest pleasures, and breakfast sliders are even better. The ingredients in these sliders ham and egg sliders are affordable and simple.
There really isn’t much technique involved and they results are perfectly delicious. There is just something about salty meat, soft eggs and gooey cheese that make the perfect filling for a sandwich!
Table of Contents
About the Recipe
Whoever started the slider trend should really get a metal. There is something about digging into a small little four bite sandwich that makes it extra tasty.
Not to mention the soft interior of a dinner roll encased in a buttery toasted exterior. Plus there are so many fun fillings you can do.
You can assemble them up to a day in advance, which is super handy when you are serving a crowd. It is also amazing when you want a warm breakfast, but don’t want to have to wake up at the crack of dawn.
Just pop the pan in the oven when you are ready and breakfast is done in about a half an hour. Easy, peasy!
Of course the site of green eggs isn’t the most appetizing for everyone, so I figured I would share an every day version of those same little sandwiches. Do yourself a favor and get the ingredients on your grocery list so you can make some for your family.
The rolls make for a fun presentation. Plus they are perfect on a brunch buffet like this because they make small sandwiches.
What are your favorite dishes to serve on a brunch buffet?
Easy Recipe Alterations or Substitutions:
You can start with this base recipe and experiment using your favorite ingredients. For instance, you could easily substitute strips of cooked bacon or sausage patties in place of the ham.
You can also switch up the cheese. Little Dude prefers the American cheese slices, but cheddar, pepper jack, Colby jack or even Swiss cheese would be tasty options.
We like to keep the butter on top pretty simple. The Dijon mustard goes really well with the ham and eggs, so that adds enough extra flavor for us.
You can certainly add some poppy seeds or dried minced onion if you prefer. You could even try adding a little bit of brown sugar if you really like the sweet and salty combination.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you serve with breakfast sliders?
We like to be able to eat a couple of sliders, so we keep the sides pretty simple. Some fresh fruit or a fruit salad makes for a delicious side dish for these sandwiches.
How do you store leftover sliders?
Extra sliders can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. For longer storage, wrap individual sliders in plastic wrap and put in a freezer safe container to freeze for up to three months.
How do you reheat leftover sliders?
Allow frozen sliders to defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Remove plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until heated through.
Tips and Tricks:
- We have tried both regular dinner rolls, and King’s Hawaiian rolls for this recipe. Little Dude and I prefer the Hawaiian rolls, but my husband prefers standard dinner rolls. Honestly, both options are delicious.
- You can assemble these ahead of time, so all you have to do when you are ready to eat is bake them.
More Great Slider Recipes:
There are so many fun options for slider fillings. You can really let your imagination take you wherever you want, but here are a few of our favorite recipes:
Pizza bread sliders take one of our favorite simple dinners and make them cuter. The sauce coated meat is covered in melted cheese and garlic bread like butter on top ties it all together.
Or for a classic, try making hot turkey, ham and cheese sliders. The melty cheese and lunchmeat are such a simple combination, but they are always so good.
For something different, try inside out turkey grilled cheese sliders. They feature pesto and dried cranberries for extra big flavor.
What are your favorite slider combinations? I’d love to hear what you are making in the comments or on social media.
Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sliders
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 12 dinner rolls
- 8 oz. shaved deli ham
- 4 slices American cheese or your favorite kind
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Oil or butter for cooking eggs
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat together eggs and sour cream. Cook in a skillet greased with oil or butter until just set. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Keeping rolls attached, carefully cut them in half horizontally.
- Place the bottoms in the greased pan. Layer with ham, then eggs. Top with cheese. Place tops of rolls over the fillings.
- Melt butter and stir in the Dijon mustard. Brush over the tops of the rolls.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil. If desired, you can refrigerate the sliders for up to 24 hours at this point., or bake them right away.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake with the pan covered with aluminum foil for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the tops are toasted to your liking.