Come in from playing in the snow to a hot mug of rich, creamy and delicious hot chocolate. Making it in the slow cooker means it’s super simple and hot and ready when you are.
Hot chocolate is a must have on a cold winter day. There is just something about coming in from an afternoon of sledding and snowman making and having a cup of cocoa waiting.
This version is super creamy and chocolaty and the crock pot makes it while you play!
This year for Christmas I thought it would be fun to do a hot chocolate bar. I knew it would be festive and popular.
Plus having several fun topping ideas meant everyone could customize it and make it their own.
Making it in the slow cooker allowed people to get it as they wanted to without any work. Plus this version is so much creamier than anything you could get from a packet.
All it takes is a few simple ingredients. I used a mix of dark and milk chocolate chips then added some cocoa powder to give it an extra chocolate boost.
Making the Creamiest Crockpot Hot Chocolate with Condensed Milk
Some sweetened condensed milk added a the extra bit of sweet while also driving home the rich and creamy texture. A mix of whole milk and half and half made it super luscious.
In a pinch you could use all whole milk, but for Christmas I wanted it to be extra special. This combination gave a really luxurious mouthfeel and delicious flavor.
The best part is once everything is in the crockpot, you get to walk away for a couple of hours. For me that meant I got to enjoy my family and the Christmas festivities while the chocolate melted.
But that also makes it ideal for days of playing in the snow. Set it and go enjoy yourself.
When you can’t feel your fingers anymore from the cold, you’ll love knowing a creamy cup of hot cocoa is waiting for you.
Fun Topping Ideas for Your Mug of Hot Cocoa:
- Rudolph Marshmallows
- Snowman Marshmallows
- Caramel Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sticks
More Tasty Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you would rather have hot chocolate mix in the pantry for a quick mug of hot cocoa, you can make your own. Homemade hot chocolate mix is perfect for having on hand for a quick treaty or put some in jars for a cute gift.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Rich and Creamy Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- In a slow cooker (you want at least a 4 quart insert). whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and cocoa until there are no lumps.¼ cup cocoa powder, 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- Add chocolate chips, milk and half and half. Stir to combine.1 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 cup milk chocolate chips, 6 cups whole milk, 2 cups half and half
- Cook on low for 2 hours, then whisk to ensure all chocolate chips are melted and to combine. Once smooth, you can drop the heat to warm to hold if you’d like.