This fun sweet and salty snack mix only takes a few minutes to make and the results are delicious. This version is decked out in red and green for the merriest of white trash snack goodness, but the colors could easily be changed for any occasion.
A good snack mix is a fabulous addition to any get together. When they have a sweet and salty mix they can help tide people over until the big meal, or be a little something sweet to finish the evening. This white trash Christmas mix has plenty of crunch, lots of texture and tastes amazing. It will keep all of your elves a little happier this holiday season.
To be honest I bought most of the ingredients for this mix a few weeks ago. I had a vision of combining two of our favorite sweet and salty treats together.
During the fall we love hillbilly hash. The combination of peanuts and candy corn is surprisingly good. We love it so much I made a hillbilly hash popcorn that is scrumptious.
Nana turned us on to white trash several years ago. The combination of bugles, nuts and white chocolate is also surprisingly addictive. My grandparents both went crazy over it the first time they had some last year.
Since both are in that sweet and salty vein and both have irreverent names, I thought it would be fun to combine them into one super trashy snack mix. I bought the ingredients, but life got really busy and I didn’t get to it.
So I switched out the candy corn for some holiday m&m’s and added a dash of red and green sprinkles and turned it into a winter mix instead. It came together in less than ten minutes which made it feel extra pathetic that I couldn’t get the fall version done.
Se la vie. And there is always next year I suppose!
It turns out mushing the phrase white trash and Christmas together is more fun than anything I had thought of for the fall version anyway! So maybe it all worked out in the end.
No matter what you call it, this mix is perfect for treat trays. In fact I made some tubs of just this mix to pass out to folks already as a pre-holiday treat.
It is also great for setting out at parties. It is funny how quickly a good snack mix will disappear once people get started eating it.
In fact, we are planning to whip up a sweet and salty snack mix buffet for a work holiday party. This version would be right at home with Mary Ann’s caramelly cereal Christmas snack mix, some caramel corn and of course puppy chow.
What are your favorite snack mix combinations? Try this one and let me know what you think.
- 6 cups original bugles
- 4 cups small pretzels
- 2 cups salted cocktail peanuts
- 24 ounces white chocolate or almond bark
- 10 ounce bag holiday M&M’s
- 2 Tablespoons holiday sprinkles
- Place a large strip of wax paper on the counter or on a couple of baking sheets.
- Put the bugles, pretzels and peanuts in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt the white chocolate. I like doing this in a glass bowl in the microwave. Do short 20-30 second intervals, stirring well between each until it stirs smooth. White chocolate scorches easily, so short bursts is the best way to keep that from happening. Alternatively you can melt it in a double boiler, just be sure to wipe any condensation off the bottom of the pan before trying to pour the chocolate.
- Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the salty snacks and toss to coat.
- Quickly spread the mixture out over the wax paper, then sprinkle with M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Allow to cool and set completely, then break into bite sized pieces and store in an airtight container until ready to eat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.