Sweet and salty crunch peanut butter popcorn with candy corn and peanuts for a fun version of hillbilly hash. A favorite fall treat just got upgraded!
Popcorn coated in peanut butter caramel and baked until crunchy. It sounds delicious, doesn’t it? Because it is!
Then mix in some peanuts and candy corn to make it a fall treat nobody will be able to resist!
The minute fall rolls around, the candy dishes around our city start filling up with peanuts and candy corns. Hillbilly hash! Or at least that’s what we call it here.
Some people add candy covered chocolate candies as well. I prefer mine straight peanuts and candy corn.
Though I will certainly eat the other, I just enjoy the chocolates separate.
There is just something about the savory salty peanuts and the sweet almost creamy candy corn together that is a match made in heaven. I think the perfect combination is two to three peanuts for every candy corn.
So now my questions for you:
- Is this a thing where you live?
- If so, what do you call it?
- What is your preferred combination?
Of course I had to take it to the next level! I love anything peanut butter flavored and popcorn is one of our favorite snacks. So I thought some peanut butter popcorn would be a great addition to hillbilly hash.
I had made peanut popcorn a few years back and had been looking for an excuse to make it again these last few months. This seemed like the perfect excuse.
Little Dude loves candy corn, so his eyes got big when he heard they were on the grocery list. He talked me into the big bag because, ya know, we are going to “need” more as the fall goes on.
Sometimes I feel like I am supposed to be a harder sell on this stuff. But alas, he knows how to tug at my heart strings and talk my language! 😉
So celebrate the coming of fall with some Hillbilly Hash Popcorn!
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the peanut butter popcorn is completely cool before you put it in an airtight container, otherwise it could get soft.
- The candy corn can also make the popcorn a little soft over time. Make the popcorn ahead of time and store it in an airtight container. Mix the peanuts and candy corn in closer to serving time.
- Even after being mixed, the mix will stay good for a few days. Just keep it in a plastic bag or tub. But it will be at it’s maximum freshness and crunchiness in the first day.
- Do you like the chocolate candies in your hillbilly hash? Toss them in too! Or drizzle the mix with chocolate!
If you like this hillbilly hash popcorn, you may also like:
- Peanut butter maple snack mix
- Apple spice snack mix
- No bake monster cookie bites
- Jenny’s Caramel Crispix Mix
Hillbilly Hash Popcorn
- 12 cups popcorn
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup candy corn
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250°F and grease a rimmed baking sheet
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in corn syrup, brown sugar and peanut butter. Cook, stirring frequently until it comes to a low boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the baking soda. Be careful as the mixture is really hot and it is going to bubble up quite a bit. Pour hot peanut butter caramel over popcorn and toss to coat.
- Spread popcorn over prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread popcorn over wax paper to cool. Once cooled completely, store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Before serving, toss candy corn and peanuts with popcorn.