Christmas Chex Mix is basically loaded up puppy chow that is extra festive for the holidays. It is no bake, easy to make, and tastes amazing. If you are a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, this is the snack mix for you!
This sweet chocolaty Chex mix is made with just 6 simple ingredients and is sure to be a hit at your holiday parties. Luckily, it only takes a few minutes to make because you will likely find yourself making multiple batches throughout the Christmas season.
If your family is anything like ours, puppy chow or muddy buddies is a staple at Christmas. People always get excited when they see it served, and once they start munching, it is hard to stop.
But sometimes, we want to do something a little extra special, and that is where this simple recipe comes in. With the addition of peanut butter filled pretzels, you get more salty crunch added to the mix.
And of course, the holiday colored candies make it look even more Christmassy. The two small changes make such a big difference with basically no extra effort.
So make a batch for your next holiday gathering and see for yourself. You will be the hit of the party!
Why You’ll Love This Loaded Puppy Chow
- It only takes a few minutes to make.
- It’s no bake, so you don’t have to turn on your oven.
- It makes a great edible gift or party favor. Just put it in little cellophane bags and tie it with pretty ribbon for a thoughtful and economical gift.
- If you are having a holiday movie night, it’s a perfect snack!
- You can always change up the colors of the M&Ms and enjoy it for events throughout the year.
Ideas for Additions and Substitutions
I didn’t want to stray too far from the puppy chow recipe that we all know and love. So, we kept this recipe simple but festive.
However, there are a million ways you can switch it up and make it your own. If you come up with the best mix, you’ll have to tell me about it so I can make it too.
Here are a few ideas for changing it up.
Add some roasted peanuts or pecans to mix for even more salty crunch.
If you can’t find peanut butter stuffed pretzels, mini twists work as well.
Use peanut M&Ms or peanut butter M&Ms if you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you store puppy chow?
You can store homemade puppy chow (or this Christmas Chex mix) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. Though, ours is usually eaten within a day or two, so storing it has never been a problem!
Can you freeze puppy chow?
You can freeze puppy chow if you would like. Just make sure it is really air-tight and it can go in the freezer for months. You can thaw it or try eating it straight from the freezer for a cool experience.
More Fun Snack Mix Recipes
For a savory snack, try making classic baked Chex mix. It is another must-have for my family around Christmas time.
Or try making a white trash Christmas mix. It has fun things like bugles inside, all coated in almond bark for another festive sweet and salty snack.
Caramel Chex mix with bugles is another fun one. It’s starting to feel like we have a theme going here. I guess we know what we like!
Christmas Chex Mix
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 16 ounces creamy peanut butter
- 8 cups Chex cereal rice, corn, or both
- 24 ounces peanut butter filled pretzels
- 10 ounces holiday M&Ms
- Place the powdered sugar in a 2 gallon plastic bag, or divide it between two 1 gallon bags.4 cups powdered sugar
- Put chocolate chips and peanut butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second bursts, stirring after each trip to the microwave, until it stirs smooth (1½-2 minutes).12 ounces chocolate chips, 16 ounces creamy peanut butter
- Stir in the cereal and half of the pretzels. Be careful not to crush the cereal and keep stirring until it is all coated.8 cups Chex cereal, 24 ounces peanut butter filled pretzels
- Spoon coated cereal into bag(s) with powdered sugar. Seal bags and shake to coat.
- Stir in the M&Ms and remaining pretzels.10 ounces holiday M&Ms
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.