If you are looking for a fun fall treat, squirrel chow snack mix is it! It is part white chocolate puppy chow and part hillbilly hash, so it adds up to an extra tasty treat.
Sweet and a little salty, crunchy and a little bit creamy too, this squirrel chow is sure to make you want to hide some for yourself. It is quick to put together and combines some of our favorite fall treats, puppy chow and hillbilly hash. The peanuts, candy corn, white chocolate and cereal combine into one super tasty snack mix.
Here is the origin story of this fun snack mix. We were headed to Chicago to visit my husband’s sister Jess and her family. I knew I wanted to bring a fun snack along.
Jess’s husband, Ant, gets migraines when he has chocolate. So you can imagine he avoids it like the plague! I don’t know how he survives without… but I get nasty headaches sometimes too, so I certainly see why he does.
I wanted to make sure to bring something he could have as well. This was the perfect answer!
The base of this snack mix is a lot like the puppy chow you are used to, except I used white chocolate instead. It has the creamy peanut buttery coating on the crunchy cereal you are used to.
The peanut butter flavor really carries through with the white chocolate, which I really enjoyed. The peanuts and candy corn add a nice splash of color and a little extra texture. Once we opened the container, we were all hooked!
While we were there Jess made a super chocolaty cake to celebrate one of their friends who had just completed an IronMan. Can you imagine?
I can’t wait for her to share the cake with you on her blog, Year of Cake. (it’s here!) Anyway, this was a great non-chocolate sweet alternative for the party goers. I thought the kids might eat the bulk of it, but the adults couldn’t keep their hands out of it either!
- 12.8oz box Chex cereal (I used the corn variety, but any would do)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz candy corn
- 1 cup cocktail peanuts (or dry roasted)
- Put cup of powdered sugar into each of two gallon zippered bags (or use one 2 gallon bag).
- In a microwave safe bowl large enough to accommodate the full box of cereal, melt the peanut butter and white chocolate until smooth. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate chips by starting with one 30 second interval in the microwave, but then switching to 10-15 seconds at a time stirring between each round until just smooth.
- Stir cereal into the peanut butter mixture until coated.
- Transfer into zipper bags with powdered sugar and shake until coated.
- Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to set and then stir in candy corn and Reese’s Pieces.
- Sit back and watch it disappear!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.