My Maw-Maw’s American cheese lasagna has a few surprising ingredients that likely make it a bit different from the one you grew up with, but it is so delicious. You have to make some for dinner soon!
The lasagna I grew up with has a few unexpected ingredients, but it is so good. There is a reason why my family keeps coming back to it after all of these years anyway. Make a pan full of my Maw-Maw’s lasagna for a perfect comfort food dinner.
Most people in the Midwest grow up with their mom making lasagna one of two ways:
- With ricotta
- With cottage cheese
I grew up having neither in my lasagna! MiMi made lasagna completely different and she learned to make it that way from Maw-Maw.
So get ready to be shocked, amazed or possibly horrified. No matter what, just promise you will give it a try!
Are you dying to know what the secret filling is? I guess I can let you in on the family secret.
Maw-Maw uses Velveeta cheese in her lasagna!
I know, I know. I’ll give you a minute to digest that.
Ok. Now sit down for this. I know you are in a fragile state already, I don’t want this next part to do you in.
Instead of Italian sausage, she uses ground beef.
Yep, you read that right.
A ground beef and Velveeta cheese lasagna, and it is AMAZING! You just have to give it a try.
This was always one of my favorite dinners growing up. It was usually a birthday or special occasion dinner and everyone loved it.
As the years went on, I became the chief lasagna maker, a role I was happy to take. I always loved helping in the kitchen. Now I make a variety of lasagnas, but there is always a special place in my heart for this one.
My husband, who thinks his mom’s lasagna is pretty much the only one that deserves to go by the name of lasagna, was even a fan!
What are you waiting for? Give it a try already!
More great lasagna variations:
- One Pot Skillet Lasagna gives you the flavor of lasagna without the layers, so it is quicker and easier!
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna is a super fun game day inspired twist on lasagna. It is sure to surprise your family,
- Tex Mex Lasagna mixes the flavors of the south together with layers of lasagna.
- Chicken broccoli Alfredo lasagna is a creamy white lasagna. It has everything you love about fettucine Alfredo baked into a lasagna form.
If you like this, you may also like the recipe for cheese stuffed chicken Parmesan meatloaf. It is loaded with melted cheese and marinara goodness.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked to al dente and drained
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound American cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9×13 baking dish
- Start by spreading 1/2 of a jar of sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Place a layer of pasta over the sauce. Overlap the noodles to keep distinct layers.
- Next, layer 1/2 of a jar of sauce, half the meat and 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Make another layer of pasta followed by slices of Velveeta.
- More pasta, 1/2 jar of sauce, the rest of the meat and 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Top with the last layer of pasta, 1/2 jar of sauce and remaining cup of mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for an hour. Remove the foil when there is about 10 minutes left and sprinkle on the Parmesan. Return to the oven to finish the baking time.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 857mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.