Creamy layers of chicken broccoli alfredo goodness in lasagna form. This is sure to become a favorite dinner!
Who said lasagna has to be red? Not me, that is for sure! My absolute favorite alfredo sauce makes a perfect lasagna that is layered with chicken, broccoli, cheese and maybe even some bacon. Get a salad and garlic bread ready, and be prepared to collect lots of compliments!
In high school, my birthday dinner request was almost always fettuccine alfredo. My mom had the perfect recipe for alfredo sauce that was super rich and creamy.
That stuff puts all other alfredo to shame to the point where I almost never order alfredo out any more. Luckily I shared the recipe on the blog, so you can make it too!
Just be warned that the jarred stuff will never do again after you’ve had it. Luckily it only takes a handful of ingredients and it will be ready by the time the pasta is boiled.
So when we threw down a lasagna cook-off challenge to our family and friends, I knew an alfredo lasagna at least needed to be considered. We love hosting the cook-offs and it is so much fun to see what everyone makes.
We had 13 lasagnas to judge and about 35 people judging. As the date grew near, my wheels really started churning.
I knew from past experience with this crazy set of judges and from some murmurs that some people would only vote for the traditional lasagna. To them a lasagna is layers of tomato sauce and cheese.
But I figured there would at least be a few judges with an open mind and plenty of traditional lasagnas to go around. So I thought standing out with a white lasagna was a gamble worth taking.
Besides, my mother-in-law is the self professed queen of lasagna and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go toe to toe with her! She had me shaking in my apron! 😂
I made a test run lasagna ahead of time and it was every bit as good as I had envisioned. It was everything I love about fettuccine alfredo with the added goodness of some golden melted mozzarella on top!
My husband, Little Dude and the neighbor kid were all fans to. So it was decided that alfredo lasagna would be my entry.
The night before the competition I decided to cook up some bacon to crumble in. I knew I needed to pull out all of the stops and bacon is almost always better!
As the votes were cast I was hearing murmurs about my lasagna. For a minute I thought I had a chance.
But in the end, I placed second. My mother-in-law is no longer the self professed queen of lasagna, she is winner’s plaque certified!
So if you are up for trying a second place lasagna, you should definitely give this one a go. It is sure to be a hit with kids and grown-ups alike!
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 10 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces oven ready lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces broccoli (defrosted is fine)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: 6-8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13″ pan.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook over medium heat until cooked through. Dice into small cubes and set aside.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic powder. Add cream cheese and milk then cook until slightly bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and chicken broth, then set aside.
- Roughly chop the broccoli into small pieces.
- Ladle about a cup of sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with a layer of about 4 lasgana noodles.
- Sprinkle with chopped chicken and bacon if desired. Spoon another cup or so of sauce over the chicken.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles followed by the chopped broccoli and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the remaining lasagna noodles. Spoon the remaining sauce on top then sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for about 15 more or until sauce is bubbly and the cheese is browned to your liking.
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 955mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 37g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.