If rich creamy alfredo is a favorite at your house, you are going to love this slow cooker chicken alfredo with pasta and broccoli. The prep work is almost non-existent and dinner cooks while you go about your life.
Knowing dinner is cooking while you are free to do other things is the beauty of a good slow cooker meal. This recipes gives you super creamy alfredo with tender chicken, tasty pasta and broccoli making it a full meal with very little effort.
This one pot dinner allows you to make something tasty while you are running errands, watching your child’s activities, helping with homework or doing whatever is on your busy schedule.
Or maybe it will give you time to sit back and relax and enjoy family time or quiet alone time instead of working in the kitchen.
No matter the motivation, having easy slow cooker dinner options in your recipe arsenal is priceless. And this meal is one of our new favorites.
So much so, in fact, we were fighting over the leftovers. Little Dude made his intentions to enjoy them clear and made sure I wasn’t planning on whisking what was left away in my lunch bag.
So you know it was a hit. And it isn’t too surprising, we always love alfredo recipes.
Making this slow cooker alfredo
This recipe is loosely based on our favorite homemade alfredo sauce. That sauce has cream cheese in it and that makes it extra rich and creamy but so super easy.
This recipe uses that same concept. You cook the chicken breasts with some chicken broth, cream, cream cheese and simple seasonings.
The broth will be soaked up by the pasta later and the cream gives that silky creaminess without curdling in the heat. The cream cheese helps it coat the pasta and makes it thick and yummy.
When the chicken is tender, remove it from the crock pot and allow it to rest for a bit. Then add a pound of uncooked pasta.
I used whole wheat penne to include some whole grains, but you can use whatever you would like. Shells, zitti, bow ties or celantini would all be great options.
While the pasta is cooking, chop the chicken and cook some broccoli. Stir in that chicken, broccoli and some Parmesan cheese and dinner is done.
We ate this as a stand alone meal, however it would also be great served with garlic bread and a garden salad. It is such a tasty and simple meal.
More great easy dinner ideas
Slow cooker chicken cacciatore soup is another great Italian inspired meal. The soup base cooks all day and much like this recipe, the pasta cooks in there when you are ready.
Slow cooker Greek chicken is another great option. Shred it up and put it in a pita pocket for a fun hot sandwich option.
For another great slow cooker pasta recipe, check out slow cooker baked pasta. It has all of the tomato sauce, cheese and sausage you would expect in a baked pasta recipe but the pasta cooks right in the crockpot with no boiling needed ahead of time.
Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo with Pasta and Broccoli
- 1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups chicken broth or water
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb penne uncooked
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Put chicken, cream, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder in slow cooker.1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken, 2 cups heavy cream, 1½ cups chicken broth, 8 oz cream cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken and set aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add uncooked pasta to slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes.1 lb penne
- Chop chicken and cook broccoli according to package directions.12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- When pasta is cooked, stir in broccoli, chicken and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately or hold on warm until ready to eat.1 cup grated Parmesan cheese