Andi’s slow cooker chicken and rice is an easy meal that requires almost no prep work. It cooks while you go about your day. All you have to do is add a vegetable and dinner is ready.
Creamy rice and tender chicken makes for a popular meal. Just stir it all together and add it to a slow cooker and like magic dinner will be ready when you are.
We grew up eating chicken and rice. It was comforting, filling and always popular.
I believe a friend had brought it over after a baby was born and we liked it so much she requested the recipe. It was an oven baked chicken and rice that was tasty.
So when I saw this crockpot recipe from my husband’s aunt, I knew we had to try it. Of course it was a hit with my family now too.
Making the chicken and rice
Recipes really don’t get much easier than this. Just stir together some water, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix and spices.
Then you stir in some rice. I used a mix of white rice and brown rice.
You can use pretty much any rice you want, but long grain rice works well. Now just put some chicken on top.
Strips of chicken breast work well because they cook evenly. I used chicken tenderloins.
You can use skinless boneless chicken thighs if you prefer. You can even use bone in chicken if you want, just make sure it is cooked through with a meat thermometer before serving it.
More easy dinner recipes
Creamy delicious risotto with chicken and spinach stirred right in sounds complicated, but it’s super simple with the help of an instant pot.
Slow cooker pork loin with creamy gravy is such an easy and comforting dinner option. It cooks while you are busy living your life and is tender and tasty when you are ready to eat.
If rich creamy alfredo is a favorite at your house, you are going to love slow cooker chicken alfredo with pasta and broccoli. The prep work is almost non-existent and dinner cooks while you go about your life.
Crockpot queso chicken is perfect for tacos or rice bowls. It is super simple to make and is tender and cheesy.
Chicken and biscuit casserole tastes a lot like pot pie, but without having to fuss with pie crust. It is a fun comfort food meal that is super easy to make.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
- 1½ cups long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 ounce envelope dry onion soup mix
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- Spray slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together rice, water, soup mix, seasonings and soups in slow cooker.1½ cups long grain rice, 3 cups water, 1 ounce envelope dry onion soup mix, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup, 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- Layer chicken on top of rice mixture.2 pounds chicken breasts
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3.5-4 hours. Check to make sure the rice is cooked to you liking and the chicken is 165°F before serving.
- Serve chicken over rice or shred it and stir it in.