Grab a handful of this sweet apple pie inspired snack mix and dig in. This is a quick and recipe that is fun for so many occasions.
Chex mix is always perfect for a party or fun snack. But they don’t always have to be salty and savory. This is a sweet chex mix that loaded with the flavors of cinnamon, apples and brown sugar. Y
ou drizzle it with white chocolate or vanilla candy before you bag it up. The result is like little bits of crunchy apple pie. It is perfect for a party, a fall field trip, road trips, movie night or just because!
I originally made this fun snack mix back in 2015. I threw an “Apple of Their Eye” baby shower for a couple of friends and all of the treats were apple themed.
I usually make a little bag of cookies as the favor for people at parties. This time I decided to do something a little different.
I thought a little cereal snack mix with apple pie flavors and apple chips would be a perfect fit for the theme. Then everyone could have a little bag of treats to eat the next day while reminiscing over the fun we had.
2015 feels like a whole lifetime ago now, so I thought it would be fun to revisit the recipe now. Little Dude and I made a batch and put together a video to show you how easy it is to do!
I knew we were having a big meal for our weekly family dinner, so a more snack like dessert would be fun. This was a hit with my brothers and it was the perfect less heavy but still sweet ending to the meal.
The best part about snacks like this is they are super versatile. They can fit in to almost any situation.
Take some on a road trip. Enjoy it at the apple orchard. Have some instead of popcorn for movie night.
Of course you can do like I do and bag it up in cute celophane bags and give it as a take away for guests. Or keep it all for yourself, I’m not judging!
The only real tip to making this great is letting it cool completely before you package it up. If it’s not completely cool, the humidity will get trapped in the mix and it will not be crunchy later.
The white chocolate drizzle is completely optional. Vanilla chips or almond bark are great options as well.
Or you can leave it off completely. The mix is delicious on its own but the drizzle gives it that ala mode feel!
If you like a sweet snack mix, you may like these fun recipes:
Brownie batter puppy chow is loaded with chocolate flavor. It is another great munchable mix that is always a hit with those who eat it!
Caramel corn is always a great idea. Try my husband’s grandma’s recipe if you haven’t yet. It is crunchy, buttery and delicious. Plus it is quick and easy because you finish it off in the microwave.
Caramel Crispix mix is a lot like caramel corn, but it is make with cereal instead. This recipe uses that same microwave trick to make it super quick and easy to make.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 12.8 oz box rice or corn chex cereal
- 1/2 cup butter (divided)
- 1 cup browned sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 cups apple chips, broken into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup vanilla baking chips
- In a microwave safe bowl large enough to accommodate the full box of cereal, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Microwave 1 minute longer or until smooth and bubbly.
- Pour in cereal and mix until as evenly coated as possible (don't worry if it isn't perfect there it gets easier to stir.)
- Microwave on high for a minute, then stir. Repeat 3 more times.
- Stir in apple chips while still warm and gooey.
- Spread over wax paper sheets to cool.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave baking chips and butter for 30 seconds. Stir and continue microwaving and stirring in 10 second intervals until smooth. Drizzle over cereal and apples. Let stand until set.
- Store in airtight containers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.