A fabulous dinner loaded with apples, onions and chicken. This savory meal is sure to win over your family and special guests too!
This post is sponsored by SwissDiamond as a part of #AppleWeek. As always, all opinions are honest and my own.
Load your skillet with succulent chicken, flavorful apples and onions too. Balance them all with herbs and make a simple pan sauce to tie it all together. All you need is a little buttered pasta or potatoes and a vegetable for a hearty meal everyone will love.
Fall is finally here, the calendar even agrees. So it’s time to put fall flavors on the table as well. This dinner is a great way to do just that.
It is easy enough to make for a family dinner. I whipped it up after work one night and was quite glad I did. But it is nice enough it could be served to guests as well!
I was so excited when Swiss Diamond signed on as a sponsor for AppleWeek this year. I already had a few skillets and love them.
I’m not the only one either! My husband believes everything should go in the dishwasher. He usually ignores anything I tell him is not allowed in there, as if those items don’t exist.
Not my Swiss Diamond skillets, though. He reaches for them without hesitation every time he cooks himself an egg for breakfast.
He even washes them without complaint! (Mostly because they just wipe clean every time!)
I have been coveting the Swiss Diamond sauté pan with lid.. The problem is I had a similar size pan at home and it worked ok.
I knew the Swiss Diamond beauty would work great, but my frugal core was torturing me. As soon as the ok pan went to “meh” I was going to upgrade.
Then I found out SwissDiamond was sending me the pan I had been drooling over. Actually an even better version with their new upgraded XD interior.
I almost fell over myself trying to get to the porch the day it was delivered!
No kidding, I made dinner in it 4 out of the first 5 nights I had it. It’s been in use at least 3 times a week ever since. I’m not sure why we even bother putting it away!
While it is oven safe, I decided to make a stove top dinner in it. This chicken and apple dinner was an instant hit with my family.
Little Dude was happily jabbering on about his fun day in kindergarten when he stopped to tell me how good it was. My husband neglected to tell me about his day so he could get a second helping.
Both ringing endorsements, I’d say! Plus it smells amazing while it cooks and is done in right around a half an hour.
This week is going to be an amazing week of apple goodies. I am posting a new apple recipe every day and so are a bunch of my friends. There will be over 200 by the time the week is over!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil (or other neutral cooking oil)
- 6 medium/large chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup apple cider or dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage leafs (or about a tsp of dried)
- 3 apples
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat until it ripples.
- Season the chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper. Place the chicken thighs in the pan with the hot oil. Cook them about 5 minutes on each side or until almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, clean, core and slice the apples and slice the onion.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pan. If there is excessive grease, remove all but a Tablespoon or two.
- Add the onion and apples to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir together the apple cider or wine, mustard, rosemary, and sage. Pour the liquid into the pan while stirring the deglaze the pan. Be sure to scrape up any bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Nestle the chicken back into the pan with the apples and onions. Cover and cook for about 7 more minutes. Check the chicken to be sure it is all up to temperature.
- Stir the cornstarch into 1/4 cup of water and stir into the pan. Allow to come to a bubble and thicken a bit. Adjust the seasoning on the pan sauce to your liking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 31g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.