Sweet, salty and umami collide in this easy slow cooker sesame chicken. Serve it over rice for a flavorful weeknight meal.
Slow cooker recipes are such a lifesaver for busy families. There is nothing better than chucking some ingredients into the crock in the morning and coming home to a tasty meal.
This recipe cooks whole chicken breasts in all of the things you would expect in sesame chicken. The honey, vinegar and touch of ketchup cook into a thick and well balanced sauce.
Serving your sesame chicken
After the chicken is nice and tender, it easily breaks apart with a couple of forks. I like to keep the chunks bite sized, but you can shred it as much as you would like.
Sprinkle on some sesame seeds if you have them and give it all a quick stir. That thick sauce will coat everything in goodness.
Serve it over some rice with a nice veggie on the side and dinner is ready to go. We especially like some steamed broccoli or sauteed zucchini on the side.
Original Recipe from 2016
I have been wanting to make a slow cooker version of honey chicken for a while now. The problem is every recipe I saw involved browning bites of chicken and then putting them in the slow cooker for 3 hours.
That may work in some situations, but when your work day is 8 hours long a 3 hour cook time isn’t exactly convenient.
The problem is, cooking chicken in the slow cooker for too long leaves you with mealy meat. It goes from fall apart tender to falling apart so much it is disintegrating and nobody wants their chicken to be mush.
So, I made a few adaptations that make getting this ready in the morning super easy. You get to throw in whole frozen chicken breasts!
All you do when you get home is shred it and stir in some sesame seeds. It’ll be done before you can make the rice to serve it with… even if you use instant!
My husband instantly fell in love. He said I can make it whenever I want.
Sweet of him to give me permission, isn’t it? 😉 Of course I am glad he likes it, and it is so darn easy to make I will be happy to make it every time he requests it.
More Great Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
If rich creamy alfredo is a favorite at your house, you are going to love slow cooker chicken alfredo with pasta and broccoli. The prep work is almost non-existent and dinner cooks while you go about your life.
Andi’s slow cooker chicken and rice is another great easy meal that requires almost no prep work. All you have to do is add a vegetable and dinner is ready.
Creamy buffalo chicken chili is super simple to make with the help of your slow cooker. It has just the right amount of buffalo chicken spice making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or a game day tailgating staple.
Did you make this great recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
Honey Sesame Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts frozen
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup cold water
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 Tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider or rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Rice for serving and optional green onions
- Place chicken breasts in your slow cooker.4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl, stir together corn starch and cold water. Add all of the remaining ingredients, besides the sesame seeds and stir to combine. Pour over chicken.3 Tablespoons corn starch, ½ cup cold water, ⅓ cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 5 Tablespoons honey, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 Tablespoons ketchup, 1 Tablespoon apple cider or rice vinegar
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Using two forks, lightly shred the chicken. Then stir in the sesame seeds.3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Serve over rice with green onions if desired.