Creamy buffalo chicken chili is super simple to make with the help of your slow cooker. So it can cook all day while you do other things. It has just the right amount of buffalo chicken spice making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or a game day tailgating staple.
This fun twist on white chicken chili adds the kick of buffalo wing sauce. Plus it is made in a slow cooker so it is super simple and perfect for busy days or game day.
Table of Contents
Soup and Chili Season
Soup season is finally here! There is a nip in the air and the sweaters are coming out of storage.
Football is back on TV as well so that means chili! We love a good bowl of classic chili but it is also fun to try new twists on the original.
Sometimes that means small flavor twists that still look like a classic red chili. Apple ale pumpkin chili is a good example of that.
I grew up on Hoosier chili, so that’s another favorite. It’s a mild chili with pasta mixed in.
But we also love trying different versions that straddle the line between soup and chili. This yummy buffalo chicken chili is a great example of that.
Chicken breasts cook with buffalo sauce, beans and broth in a slow cooker. A little ranch seasoning is added to really give that yummy nod towards dipping your wing in ranch dressing.
Once the chicken is cooked, pull it out and shred or chop it. Add it back in and stir the melted cream cheese until the soup is smooth and creamy.
The resulting flavor is a lot like buffalo chicken dip, but even better. This crockpot buffalo chicken soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold day.
Topping Your Soup
One of the most fun parts of eating chili is picking fun toppings for your bowl. Of course it is great on its own, but it is better with goodies on top.
You can add bleu cheese crumbles to add that punch. Of course that’s another nod to traditional buffalo chicken wings.
My husband went with shredded cheddar cheese instead and that was delicious as well. We both love a dollop of sour cream on our chili as well.
Some chives or green onions would be another great topping. Or serve with tortilla chips, corn chips, or homemade toasted tortilla strips.
As written, this soup has a nice medium heat. Add more hot sauce or throw some pickled jalapeno peppers on top for more spice.
Of course use whatever sounds good to you, these are just some suggestions we love.
How to Make Toasted Tortilla Strips
- 6 corn tortillas (or any tortilla)
- Olive oil
Cut your tortillas into thin strips and add them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt.
Bake at 350ºF for 5-7 minutes until nice and crispy.
More Slow Cooker Soups
Chicken cacciatore soup is a filling dinner that is pretty healthy too. The soup cooks in the crock pot while you go about your day, toss in the pasta to finish it off a little bit before you are ready to eat and dinner is done!
You can make creamy cheddar and broccoli soup in a slow cooker as well. It is comforting and delicious.
Ham and bean soup in the slow cooker is another great filling meal. It is sure to warm you up and fill you up on a chilly day!
Or turn leftover turkey into a creamy slow cooker turkey chowder. There are so many great slow cooker soup options!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 45 ounces white beans (3 cans)
- 14.5 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 package ranch seasoning mix
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Put everything but the cream cheese in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, 45 ounces white beans, 14.5 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes, 3 cups chicken broth, ⅓ cup buffalo wing sauce, 1 package ranch seasoning mix, 1 small onion, 1 small red bell pepper
- Remove the chicken and chop or shred. Return shredded chicken to the pot. Add the brick of cream cheese and continue the heat until the cream cheese is melted and can be stirred in.8 ounces cream cheese
- Serve with your favorite toppings such a blue cheese crumbles, shredded cheddar, tortilla strips, more hot sauce etc.