Soft banana bread inspired sourdough muffins are tender and delicious. They are a great way to turn a little sourdough discard into a delicious breakfast.
Sadly, all good things must come to an end. Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw are headed home.
It’s smart really, they are leaving right before we get temperatures in the 90s. For those of you who aren’t familiar with our particular brand of heat in central Illinois, that is 90 some odd degrees with about a million percent humidity.
We’ll need machetes to cut through it. But such is life around here.
We have the joy of biting cold in the winter and sweltering heat during the summer with about a day of spring and fall in between. I really do love it here for the most part, but a good solid month of high sixties and low seventies a couple of times a year would be nice!
We actually have a batch of these sourdough banana bread muffins in the freezer right now. They have that perfect banana bread flavor and texture with the convenience of a grab and go muffin.
Little Dude has been loving getting one in the morning and heating it up for a few seconds in the microwave. A quick schmear of butter and breakfast is ready.
He loves to eat his muffin, drink his milk and cuddle with his mommy for a few minutes before he goes to daycare. He is the cutest thing, in case you didn’t know.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sourdough discard (or unfed starter fresh from the fridge)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease muffin tins.
- Stir together sugar, egg, bananas and sourdough starter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredient. Then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until just mixed.
- Stir in coconut oil and vanilla.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake 12-18 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Remove from muffin tins and cool on a wire rack.
Serving Size:1 Muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.