Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a fabulous and fast way to get dinner on the table. Have some tortillas, sour cream, limes and avocados on hand for a superb supper.
These fajitas are the perfect combination of succulent chicken breast and fresh veggies with a nice balance of spice. The best part is that it all cooks together on a sheet pan which makes for super simple prep and clean up.
If you have a cutting board, knife and sheet pan, you have everything you need! Just gather up the ingredients and you will be ready in no time.
These fajitas will taste just like what you get at a restaurant. The only thing you’ll be missing is the sizzling cast iron platter.
Chicken- You will want to use boneless skinless meat cut into strips. We used chicken breasts, but you are welcome to use boneless skinless thighs if you prefer.
Peppers- You will need three bell peppers for the recipe. There is more visual appeal if you use three different colors, but it is not entirely necessary.
Onions- We used red onions, but feel free to use yellow or white.
Seasonings- We jazzed up fajita seasoning with some extra salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Lime- A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds big flavor. Serve with some additional lime wedges for more fresh bright zing.
Oil- Use whatever oil you would like. Avocado oil, vegetable oil, olive oil all works. I wouldn’t use extra virgin olive oil due to the high cooking temperature.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
If you don’t have a jar of fajita seasoning, don’t despair! You can make your own. Just mix up a jar of the following to have on hand at a moment’s notice.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Tips and Tricks
1. To check if the chicken is done, insert a food thermometer into the center of some of the larger pieces, making sure they reach 165°F.
2. Make sure you mix the fajitas halfway through cooking to ensure everything cooks evenly.
3. You could add other vegetables of choice, but remember to adjust cooking times accordingly. It will be easier to use vegetables that all cook at the same rate.
4. Do not slice the vegetables too thin so they don’t overcook .
5. Add some red pepper flakes for extra heat.
6. The recipe is low carb and gluten free without the tortillas.
7. You could also use gluten free tortillas.
More great sheet pan recipes
Tex-Mex sheet pan breakfast also makes a great dinner. Just chop the veggies and watch the magic happen!
Make mini meatloaves, green beans and potatoes on one sheet pan. Everyone can enjoy their own mini meatloaf along with roasted green beans and potatoes and there’s only one pan to clean!
Load up some fall favorites on a sheet pan and cook your whole meal together. This easy recipe features Italian sausage, acorn squash and kale in a way that they all shine!
Or try making easy tamale casserole for another easy Tex-Mex meal!
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it in the recipe card below.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1½ lb chicken breast cut into strips
- 3 mixed colors bell peppers deseeded and sliced
- 1 medium red onion chopped into strips
- 2 Tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional to serve: lime wedges chopped fresh cilantro, tortillas, avocado/guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Put the chicken, peppers and onion in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Sprinkle over the spices and olive oil. Toss everything together to coat.
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes, mixing halfway through, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender-crisp.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle lime juice over chicken fajita mix and adjust seasonings to taste. Toss together once more.
- Serve warm with lightly toasted/warm tortillas and other toppings of choice.