Strawberry yogurt crumb bars bring together fresh berries with a creamy yogurt layer all nestled between buttery crumbs. They are a magical way to celebrate spring sweetness.
As warmer weather returns, so do tasty fresh berries! The fruit you get during the winter pales in comparison to in season strawberries.
There is just something special about a warm freshly picked berry. They are definitely worthy of celebration!
This recipe pumps up that flavor with the addition of jam. Add in a bit of creamy tartness with yogurt and you are really in business.
It is all baked on a buttery crust with some oats thrown in for that great texture. Add a few more crumbs to the top and you have a fabulous treat.
Making The Crust
The buttery crumbs that make the crust and topping for these sweet bars are part streusel with an oatmeal nod to crisps. It is the perfect way to hold it all together and complement the filling.
You combine butter with flour, oatmeal, sugar, vanilla and a bit of baking powder until the mixture is crumbly. You can accomplish that with a pastry cutter, mixer or spatula.
Set aside a bit for crumbling over the top of the bars and use the rest to form the crust. It may look too crumbly to come together, but it will.
Using the bottom of a measuring cup is a great way to apply even pressure when making a crust like this. Then you are ready for the filling.
Strawberry Yogurt Filling
Yogurt makes such a great pairing for berries. Add a little bit of sugar for a touch of sweet and a bit of cornstarch to help thicken it up as it bakes.
The recipe calls for plain yogurt. You can sub in vanilla yogurt if that’s what you have, just use a little bit less sugar than the recipe calls for.
Spread the yogurt mixture over the prepared crust. Then add some strawberry jam and sliced fresh berries.
Raspberry jam and fresh raspberries or blackberry jam and chopped blackberries would also make delicious crumble bars. But for my tastebuds strawberries reign supreme!
Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the top and bake to perfection. Cool, cut and devour with reckless abandon.
Tips and Tricks
Make sure the butter is soft: Cut the butter into chunks and leave it at room temperature for
around 1 hour before baking.
- If you don’t want to cut the slices in your baking pan, leave 1 inch of paper parchment
hanging over the sides of the pan. It will be easier to lift the vars from the pan and cut into clean pieces.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can I make these crumb bars with other fruit?
Yes. Feel free to make these bars with blueberries, peaches, or raspberries instead of strawberries.
More Fabulous Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry bundt cake combines fresh berries and sour cream for the perfect cake texture.
Victoria sponge cake features berries and whipped cream between layers of sponge cake for a classic treat.
Or make mini strawberry fruit pizzas for a fun cookie dessert.
Did you make this great recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card below!
Strawberry Yogurt Crumb Bars
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam
- 12 oz. fresh strawberries
- Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with paper parchment. (see note)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour, rolled oats, sugar, salt, and baking powder.1½ cups all-purpose flour, 1¾ cup rolled oats, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 pinch salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Add the soft butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined and crumbly. (I use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment but can be made by hand).⅔ cup unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for topping.
- Put remaining mixture into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Press it into a flat layer to form a crust. It may look like it won’t stick together, but it will. (You can use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to press the crust).
- In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, sugar, and cornstarch. Spread the yogurt mixture over the crust.3 cups plain Greek yogurt, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Spread the jam over the yogurt mixture.⅓ cup strawberry jam
- Slice the strawberries and dot them over the jam.12 oz. fresh strawberries
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the strawberries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool in the pan completely before cutting into 12 squares to serve.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. They can be stored safely for at least 4 days.
hanging over the sides of the pan. It will be easier to lift the cake from the pan.