Creamy savory cheddar ranch cheesy potato casserole takes your favorite funeral potatoes and adds a hit of ranch to make it next level. This potato bake is perfect for parties, holidays or any kind of gathering.
Cheesy potato casserole is an absolute favorite side dish for our family. You will find them at Christmas, Easter and birthdays.
You may know the dish as party potatoes or funeral potatoes. The mix of potatoes, sour cream, cream of chicken soup and cheese topped with a buttery cornflake topping.
We have tried different twists on that theme. For example, French onion cheesy potatoes have an extra later of flavor but still give you that recognizable base you love.
This recipe is similar in that you get the goodness of ranch dressing baked right into the cheese and potato mixture. The results are extra savory and delicious.
If cheddar bacon ranch is your style, you can certainly stir in some crumbled cooked bacon. That bit of smokey saltiness would be amazing.
We were serving our casserole with oven baked ribs and roasted brussels sprouts, so I figured we didn’t need the bacon too. Now that I am writing that out I am really wondering why I didn’t go for it!
If you want to make a meal of this, check out the buffalo chicken and potato bake. It adds just chicken and a bit of spice to make it really hearty.
What kind of potatoes should I use?
Any frozen hash browns work. The shredded potatoes work well and so do the small cubes. You can even use the Obrien style if you like peppers and onions.
More great potato recipes
Cheddar bacon ranch potato salad is like a loaded baked potato in picnic salad form. It is a great make ahead side dish that is perfect for potlucks, BBQs, game day and more.
Sour cream and chive mashed potatoes are a perfect side dish. They are so creamy, flavorful and make a great addition to any dinner menu.
Pork chop and potato bake has a crunchy topping is an absolutely delicious family friendly meal. All you need is a vegetable and dinner is done!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Cheddar Ranch Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 28 oz bag frozen hashbrowns
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups crushed cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- Put the soup, ranch dressing, sour cream, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mixt together.
- Gently stir in the potatoes and cheese, then spread in prepared pan.
- Melt the butter. Toss the cornflake crumbs in the butter and spread over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the cheesy is bubbly. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.