Make flavorful and tender BBQ ribs in the comfort of your kitchen with the help of the oven. These ribs are baked until perfect without the need for a smoker.
These oven BBQ ribs are finger licking good and really easy to make. They are made indoors making them perfect for when there is inclement weather, you don’t have a smoker or you don’t want to deal with the hassle of babysitting a charcoal grill.
Grilled food and bbq has to be one of our favorite types of meal. Whether it is smoked and sauce coated or marinated and grilled, something about the combination of meat and fire is amazing.
But sometimes stoking the fire and constantly checking the meat is too much. Or sometimes the weather forecast is working against you.
Luckily you can make juicy delicious barbecue ribs in your house as well. You don’t need any special equipment and you can hang out with your family or guests as they cook.
That’s right, no muss no fuss ribs right in you kitchen oven. It sounds too good to be true, but it’s not!
So what are you waiting for? You can be enjoying great ribs coated in a sweet sauce in no time. Just be warned, you will want to lick every last drop off your sticky fingers
Prepping your ribs
Start with your favorite cut of pork ribs. St. Louis style ribs tend to be a favorite here but baby backs or whatever you have will work beautifully.
Next prick the ribs a few times with a fork to allow the spices to penetrate a bit. Then generously rub the ribs with the spice mix.
We used Montreal seasoning, but feel free to use your favorite mix or dry rub. Almost anything will work wonderfully.
Cook the ribs slowly at a nice low temperature until they are tender. Then brush them with your favorite bbq sauce and continue to bake until the sauce is thickened and caramelized a bit.
That’s it, it is really easy peasy!
How do I know when my ribs are done cooking?
Properly cooked ribs are juicy and tender the meat is when it is done cooking. You can cook them to your desired level of tenderness. You can cook it until the meat literally falls right off the bone when it is done cooking or you can stop it a little bit earlier if you prefer. It is important to make sure that your meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
How do I make my own BBQ sauce?
If you are looking to add a more personal touch to your ribs you can make your own homemade BBQ sauce! To do this, simply combine tomato sauce, maple syrup, molasses, paprika, dry mustard, and any other spices you would like to add.
How many ribs do I need per person?
½ pound of ribs is typically a good serving for one person. With that being said, having ¾ – 1 pound per person will ensure you are prepared if you are making these ribs for a cook out or a party.
More great recipes
You can also make yummy indoor ribs with the help of an instant pot. Check out the recipe for buffalo ribs in the instant pot for directions.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Tender BBQ Ribs in the Oven
- 2 pounds pork ribs
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal seasoning or your favorite spice mix
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce your favorite kind
- Preheat the oven to 275°F and place your rack of ribs on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- While the oven is preheating, use a fork to poke several small holes in the surface of the ribs, like you would to cook a potato.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and Montreal seasoning.
- Massage the spice rub into the meaty side of the ribs, making sure it is completely covered.
- Place the ribs in the oven and cook for 4 hours.
- Brush ribs with a thin layer of BBQ sauce and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until the BBQ sauce is thick and sizzling.
- Use a knife or kitchen shears to cut the ribs, serve with the rest of the BBQ sauce, and enjoy!