Take those garden fresh veggies and turn them into a flavorful roasted salsa in just a matter of minutes. It takes longer to char the veggies under the broiler than it does to do anything else! This is going to be a hit for sure!
It’s salsa season! Of course it’s kind of always salsa season, but right now is garden fresh salsa season. If you have a garden, you likely have most of these ingredients in spades right now.
If you aren’t the gardening type, you likely can get them really fresh and affordably from a farm stand or neighbor who gardens.
All you really need for delicious fresh salsa besides the produce is a food processor. But if you want to take it to the next level, you’ll need a sheet pan too!
You see, just a few minutes under the broiler will give those veggies a hint of char and give the salsa one more layer of flavor. It only adds a few minutes and very little effort more to the process and I think you’ll appreciate the difference.
If you don’t have an extra 15 minutes to spare, no worries! Just skip the roasting part and throw the clean fresh veggies right in the food processor as they are. The results will still be delicious!
Of course we had to enjoy some of this salsa within a few minutes of it being made on some tortilla chips. Chips and salsa are one of life’s simple pleasures we don’t enjoy nearly often enough.
This salsa was also superb with our baked breakfast chimichangas and would be delicious in slow cooker salsa chicken.
I made a bunch while I was at it and froze some to stir into chili this fall. I figured we have at least another month of produce from our garden, so I’ll have plenty of chance to make another batch or two before it’s all over.
What are your favorite uses for salsa? I’d like to know now while I have basically unlimited access to fresh produce. I don’t want to miss out on anything fabulous!
Great recipes that use salsa as an ingredient:
- Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot is a favorite. You can use canned or dry beans and the finished
product is great over cilantro lime rice.
- Salsa Chicken in the Slow Cooker is the same idea but in a slow cooker if you don’t have a pressure
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet Meal is a great easy dinner that only gets one pot dirty. The melty cheese
topping and all of the flavors and textures to great together!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Super Simple Roasted Salsa
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and deribbed unless you like it hot!
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut vegetables into half, or large chunks. Place on sheet pan and broil on high for 7-10 minutes or until the skins develop a nice char. Set aside to cool.4 pounds tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 jalapeno peppers
- Once most of the way back to room temperature, place vegetables in a food processor. Add cilantro, garlic, cumin and lime juice.2 teaspoons minced garlic, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ cup fresh cilantro, 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Pulse the food processor until you reach your desired consistency and then adjust flavor as desired.
- Store in the refrigerator.