These fun baked chimichangas have a crisp golden exterior and are stuffed with eggs, cheese, potato and ham. They are ready in about 30 minutes and will have them all satisfied!
Turn ham, eggs and cheese into a delicious meal. These baked chimichangas are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside without having to use a fryer.
They are a great weekend breakfast or a fun breakfast for dinner option. Of course they are a fabulous way to use up some leftover ham or even leftover baked potatoes as well!
I love to cook. I know, that’s really surprising coming from a food blogger.
The thing is even though I love the process of creating a yummy meal for my family, sometimes I still lack inspiration. On my drive home from work the other day I was mentally going through the refrigerator and cabinets trying to figure out what in the heck I was going to make.
I’m sure we’ve all been there.
I knew there was a bit of ham that should be used but it was too hot out to think about throwing it in some scalloped potatoes or some other kind if casserole. That’s when it hit me, breakfast chimichangas!
I have baked chimichangas before but never with breakfast food. I could certainly come up with something from what I had on hand though.
So I whipped up some creamy scrambled eggs and threw a potato in the microwave. A few passes of the knife later and my filling was ready.
It really only takes a couple of minutes to package it in a tortilla and brush it with a bit of butter. That is how you get that golden crunchy exterior without frying them.
I placed them on the table with a bit of trepidation. Little Dude and I love breakfast for dinner but my husband usually only likes it at best or more likely tolerates it.
So I watched as he took his first bite. I was relieved to see he loved it!
So whether you are looking for a fun way to switch up your breakfast routine or you’re looking for an easily customizable dinner option that’s ready in about 30 minutes, these chimichangas are just the thing.
You could always change the ham to bacon or sausage or leave it out. You could also toss in some onions and peppers if you’d like.
Maybe do a sauteed mushroom version too? What would you put in yours?
More great hearty breakfast (or brinner!) options:
- Smothered Breakfast Burritos are super filling and delicious. They are loaded with the good stuff and smothered in sausage gravy!
- Ham Egg and Cheese Breakfast Hand Pie is a simple and fun recipe. They are flaky and delicious!
- Cheesy Ham and Asparagus Frittata is suuuuuper delicious. The asparagus and ham are the perfect combination to go with eggs and cheese.
Baked Breakfast Chimichangas
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 12 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup ham chopped
- 8 8-inch tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a large skillet. Whisk together the eggs and sour cream and pour into skillet. Cook over medium-low heat until eggs are mostly set. Remove from heat.1 Tablespoon butter, 12 eggs, 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- Either use a leftover baked potato or pierce the potato and cook in the microwave until tender. Dice into medium sized cubes.1 medium potato
- Set out the tortillas and top with about 1/8 each of ham, cheese, eggs and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.1 cup grated cheese, 1 cup ham, 8 8-inch tortillas
- Fold two opposing ends of the tortillas over the filling and then roll the other sides around the filling. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with melted butter and bake for 25 minutes or until tortillas are golden and crisp.2 Tablespoons butter
- Garnish with desired toppings and serve.