Flour tortillas stuffed with your favorite fillings and baked until they form a crispy shell make perfect oven baked chimichangas. Get the tasty results without the grease!
Chimichangas are such a treat with their crisp exteriors that give way to the soft fillings. The fried version at restaurants are delicious, but that can be a mess to do at home.
This oven baked recipe allows you to get that golden exterior without frying them. You get great flavor and less mess in the comfort of your own home. Plus this way you can pick whatever fillings you’d like!
It is finally time for this dinner to come together. After the pinto beans cooked all night and the meat cooked all day I could not wait to see if it turned out as good as I had hoped.
Of course anything with some melty cheese and a tortilla that is just the right mix of crisp and soft makes it hard to go wrong. But this took it to the next level.
I was really happy with all of the flavor in the barbacoa. The beans were a great spreading consistency and the cheese was well… cheese! Yum!
The tortillas baked up just they way I wanted, golden brown with a nice crunch. Top with a bit of sour cream and guacamole, drizzle with a bit of salsa and dinner is served!
Pops and my sister Chloe came over to give them a try and they loved them. My husband ate 3 of them for dinner, so I think he thought they were alright as well!
I can’t wait to try all sorts of variations of chimichangas. I think a chicken version is next!
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans ( I used my slow cooker version)
- 1 recipe slow cooker barbacoa
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack, cheddar, co-jack or whatever you like)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Your favorite toppings: queso, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, more cheese or whatever you like
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Spread some of the beans down the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and top with meat.
- Fold each end of the tortilla over the fillings and roll other side around the filling.
- Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Brush chimichangas with melted butter and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.