Chocolate cupcakes with a graham cracker crust and piled high with toasted marshmallow buttercream. S’mores cupcakes are a perfect bite of summer!
One of summer’s greatest pleasures is a perfect s’more. However campfires aren’t always available so now you can enjoy those flavors in cupcake form complete with fluffy toasted marshmallow buttercream.
I cannot even tell you how much I love this frosting!
This food blogging gig is rough sometimes. Two weeks ago I had to make some ice cream. I mean it’s a terrible burden to have to taste test orange creamsicle cheesecake ice cream night after night until it’s gone.
Ok. It’s definitely not! It’s so much delicious fun!
Now today Torani gave me the choice of using some of their great products to create something for you! I would pretend it was an inconvenience, but it totally wasn’t!
I spent a fair amount of time on their site looking at flavors and thinking of possibilities. I ended up choosing a bottle of strawberry syrup that we are absolutely loving in lemonade. I also got some of their frappe mix which has made our mornings super delicious!
The instant I saw the toasted marshmallow though, I knew it had to be mine. I could feel it in my sweet tooth! 😉
While it is delicious mixed in one of those frappes I was telling you about and would be amazing in a mug of hot chocolate, I had other ideas in mind.
Cupcake ideas! With loads of fluffy frosting. I can’t help myself. You know I 🎂 frosting right? I even have multiple t-shirts and a hoodie that say so!
To keep in line with the traditional s’more flavors, these cupcakes start with a graham cracker base. Now I will be honest, that part definitely makes these a bit messy to eat, but it’s worth every crumb! Just eat them outside or with a plate and fork.
Whatever you do, don’t let the possibility of a few graham cracker crumbs deter you from making these beauties. It wouldn’t be fair to you or your guests!
On the graham crust goes yummy chocolate cupcakes. We love the devilishly good chocolate cake so much, that is what I normally use for cupcakes too.
However if a chocolate cake mix is more your style, use your favorite. It will work perfectly!
After your cupcakes are baked and cooled, it’s time to move to the star of the show… toasted marshmallow buttercream! Just typing it makes my mouth water.
I wanted super fluffy frosting with loads of toasted marshmallow flavor to mimic a gooey marshmallow hot off the fire and that’s exactly what I got. If you want a stiffer frosting, just add some more powdered sugar.
Also, if you are serving these in the heat, you can sub in some shortening for the butter to help it hold up. Do whatever makes you happy, just do yourself a favor and make them ASAP!
I made a nice pile of frosting because I didn’t want to run short. This was plenty to pipe a nice pile on each cupcake and left some to be served as graham cracker sandwiches which were also AMAZING! Ugh, you guys… this frosting 😍
I included a scaled down version if you aren’t as big of a frosting fanatic as I am. I am starting to think I should get the obsession checked out. 😉
Decorating these babies was simple. I just used a large round tip to pipe on some frosting.
Then a bit of milk chocolate bar and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs and they were all dressed up. They were so quick to do and turned out really cute. It was unmistakable what they were mimicking.
Now if you are in a hurry to make these and don’t have any toasted marshmallow syrup yet, you could sub in marshmallow buttercream. However it will be missing the warm toasty notes.
Plus just think of all pf the buttercream flavors you could make. Just think of the cupcakes!
For another fun layered treat, check out the recipe for monster brownies. They are an easy and delicious treat.
If you are a frosting fanatic like me, check out my Frosting 101. It goes through the different types of frosting and links to all sorts of delicious recipes!
S’mores Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow Buttercream
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1¼ cup graham crackers
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 recipe devilishly good chocolate cake or your favorite chocolate cupcakes
Toasted Marshmallow Buttercream
- 1½ cups butter
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons toasted marshmallow syrup
- Optional garnishes: chocolate pieces and additional graham cracker crumbs
Graham Cracker Crusts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and graham cracker crumbs.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake tins. Spoon a slightly rounded Tablespoon of graham cracker mix into each liner. Press firmly with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix up your favorite chocolate cake recipe, a chocolate cake mix will work fine. Scoop the cake batter on top of the cooled graham cracker crusts.
- Bake according to recipe directions and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Toasted Marshmallow Buttercream
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, beating in a bit at a time until it has all been added and whipped. Sprinkle in the salt.
- Add the toasted marshmallow syrup a Tablespoon at a time, beating well between additions, until you get the consistency you’d like.
- Continue to mix on medium for about 5 minutes to get nice fluffy frosting.
- Pipe or spread frosting over cupcakes.
- Garnish with a piece of chocolate and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs if desired.