Serve up meaty delicious cowboy beans at your next bbq. They are a hearty and easy to make side dish that is made right in your slow cooker!
Nothing says summer bbq like some slow cooked beans. These meaty cowboy beans have a thick sauce that has the perfect balance of sweet and savory. They are a perfect side for potlucks, bbqs and carry ins too!
MiMi has been making these beans for years. In fact we have been saying we need to get pictures almost from the beginning of the blog.
The problem is she usually makes them when we are preparing for a crowd and it’s hard to slow down and take pictures.
So when I was thinking of sides to make for our 4th of July get together, these instantly came to mind. They are quick to throw together, they feed an army and the leftovers freeze well so they win on all fronts.
The original recipe was from South Your Mouth, but MiMi has adjusted it over the years to adapt for our large gatherings and we add black beans and green peppers for color and variety.
Cowboy beans are almost hearty enough to be a meal on their own, but we normally serve them with pulled pork or hamburgers and hot dogs.
So take it easy on yourself and make some cowboy beans for your next gathering!
Some more of our favorite side dishes for a bbq:
- Slow Cooker Corny Macaroni and Cheese
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad
- Dilly Cucumber Salad
- Cheesy Potatoes With Bacon
- 1 pound ground beef (also great with venison!)
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 7 pound can of pork and beans (large industrial can)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- Dice the onion and pepper.
- Brown the meat, seasoned with salt and pepper. Add the onion and pepper until softened slightly.
- Drain any free liquid off the top of the pork and beans and then pour into a 6 quart slow cooker. Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the pot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients including the meat and veggies.
- Cook on low for at least 4 hours, but as long as 8.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.