This chicken stew is made quickly with rotisserie or leftover chicken, but that does not make it short on flavor. This shortcut chicken stew is hearty, flavorful and oh so good!
This chicken stew is super flavorful! You can use leftover or rotisserie chicken or make chicken just for this. All of the textures and tastes go so well together.
This stew will warm you from the inside out. It will fill you up and leave a smile on your face.
In our neck of the woods the weather this time of year can give you whiplash. One day it’s sunny and springy, the next day you’re layered up and trying to prevent frostbite. We went on a nice long walk on Sunday only to not be able to feel our fingers on Monday.
When the warmer days start getting sprinkled in, it’s nice to lighten things up a bit. But we don’t want to give up on that warm comforting feeling when those cold days smack us in the face. So we need something in between.
This stew fits the bill. It warms you from the inside out and delights your taste buds with layers of flavor. It tastes like it’s been going all day, but uses a few shortcuts to make it possible on a weeknight.
This stew is great made with a rotisserie chicken from the store. It’s also great with leftover roast chicken or turkey.
Next time you roast a chicken, make two! You can remove the meat off the second, chop and freeze it for dinners like this!
Plus then you’ll have plenty of stock making goodies. I love making and freezing stock as well. I usually put the carcass and vegetable trimmings in a big pot and let it do its thing.
I like to add a splash of apple cider vinegar to help the good stuff leach out. After it’s strained and cooled it’s flavorful and almost gelatinous.
I just put it in glass jars and freeze it until I need it. Once the freezer starts getting low I make sure a roast turkey or chicken gets in the menu ASAP.
Of course the stuff in a carton works too. Do you make your own stock? Do you have any tricks to making it extra good?
Back to the stew. I made it to go along with the Celtic knot rolls. It just seemed like stew was a necessary accompaniment to them. I wasn’t sure what my husband would think though as he’s not a soup fan.
He quietly ate two helpings the night I made it. No grumbles, but he also wasn’t singing its praises.
Then a couple of days later we had a leftover night to clean out the fridge. He immediately claimed the leftover stew over everything else! So he definitely liked it in spite of himself!
If you don’t do wine, you can certainly leave it out. However I highly recommend putting it in. It adds such a depth of flavor and really takes this to the next level.
What are your favorite meals for this time of year?
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, in 3/4 inch dice
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups good chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- optional: fresh herbs and/or rolls for serving
- In a large pot, warm the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and potatoes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring frequently for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the white wine, stirring to scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken stock, garlic and thyme, and bring just to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the chicken and simmer for about another 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to your taste. Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired. Serve with crusty bread or fresh rolls.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.