The classic tea and lemonade combination of the Arnold Palmer is now available in Texas sheet cake form. It is perfect for BBQs, potlucks or any summertime party!
This yummy sweet tea cake screams summertime! The sweet tea cake is made in the style of a Texas sheet cake, so it is easy to put together and feeds a crowd.
The lemon icing is made in a saucepan and poured over the warm cake for an easy smooth finish. The combination is absolutely delicious and tastes like an Arnold Palmer.
Whip up this Arnold Palmer cake recipe for a family reunion or summer BBQ. The flavors of tea and lemon are perfect for summer.
So get out your half sheet pan and grab a few tea bags, it is time to get baking and this cake is going to be fun!
Sweet Tea Sheet Cake
The cake batter for this cake is made in the same way as you would make a chocolate Texas sheet cake. So you need a nice big saucepan.
But instead of starting by bringing the water and butter to a boil, you will do just the water first. Then add some tea bags and make turn it into tea.
From there, you add the butter and warm it until it’s melted. Then remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
Making a cake batter like this is so easy. You don’t need any fancy mixers and you don’t make a lot of dirty dishes.
Just one dirty pan and a whisk is all you need! You will be pouring your sweet tea cake batter into a sheet pan in no time at all.
Once the cake is baked, allow it to start cooling and whip up the lemon icing.
This easy lemon icing is about as easy as it gets. While the cake cools, get out a medium saucepan and start the icing.
Again, you don’t need a mixer because you are going to melt your butter. So there is no creaming and getting it to just the right temperature.
Once the milk is warm and the butter is melted, whisk in some powdered sugar and lemon extract.
Pour the warm icing over the warm cake and gently spread it to the edges. It shouldn’t take much effort to get it nice and smooth.
That is one of the beautiful things about a sheet cake like this, there isn’t a lot of fuss making it look nice. You get a pretty smooth finish without any hassle.
Feel free to toss on some sprinkles if you want. Then allow the cake to cool completely and the icing to set up.
Or serve with a small slice of fresh lemon and a garnish. It is sure to be delicious either way.
More Texas Sheet Cake Recipes
We are big sheet cake fans, they are no fuss and perfect for potlucks and BBQs. This one is a new favorite, but we also love MiMi’s other original sheet cake recipe the chocolate chip cookie dough sheet cake.
The white Texas sheet cake is a hit on Pinterest. Have you ever tried different flavors of Texas sheet cake or have you stuck to the tried and true chocolate?
Arnold Palmer Texas Sheet Cake
Sweet Tea Sheet Cake
- 1 cup water
- 3 tea bags your favorite blend
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a half sheet jelly roll pan (13×18×1″)
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Turn off heat then add tea bags to brew for 5 minutes.1 cup water, 3 tea bags
- Remove tea bags and add butter. Bring back heat until butter is melted.1 cup butter
- Whisk in the sugar.2 cups granulated sugar
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.2 cups all purpose flour, 2 large eggs, ½ cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Pour into prepared sheet pan and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes during which time you should begin making the icing.
- Combine the butter and milk in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixtures just starts to boil.½ cup butter, ⅓ cup milk
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon extract.1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, whisking until it reaches a good consistency for spreading.3 cups powdered sugar
- After the cake has cooled for about 20 minutes, spread the warm icing over the cake. Let cool completely on a wire rack.