The classic tea and lemonade combination of the Arnold Palmer is now available in Texas sheet cake form. Perfect for BBQs, potlucks or any summertime party!
This tea screams summertime! The sweet tea cake is made in the style of a Texas sheet cake.
The lemon icing is made in a saucepan and poured over the warm cake for an easy smooth finish. The combination is absolutely delicious and tastes like an Arnold Palmer.
Remember way back when MiMi used to write a weekly feature? We called it Mondays with MiMi. Don’t feel too bad if you don’t remember it, because it didn’t last long.
It turns out she is good cook and writer, but the pressure of making a blog worthy recipe and writing a post each week was too much pressure. So now she prefers to read along. I guess seeing her name in lights just wasn’t enough payment for all of the hard work. 😉
Occasionally she comes out of retirement and shares a fun recipe though. When she created the oatmeal raisin cookie baked oatmeal, she knew we’d all love it. She was right, I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews from those of you who have made it.
I knew she had something up her sleeve this week for family dinner, but she was pretty tight lipped about what. She made a version of grandma’s chicken and broccoli casserole, but with ham instead of chicken.
I have since made a ham, broccoli and pasta bake and shared it because the combination is delicious. It’s a great way to use leftover ham too!
Then for dessert she pulled out this sheet cake. A sweet tea sheet cake with lemon icing. You read that right! It was soooo good too and quite the surprise.
This is a “true” Texas sheet cake according to MiMi. Her rule is that the batter and the icing must be made in a saucepan on the stove to qualify.
No creaming butter or bringing ingredients to room temperature is allowed. That’s too fancy schmacy for a Texas sheet cake.
Really that format is a perfect one for adding tea flavoring too as your going to be warming water on the stove anyway. And the lemon icing is the perfect topping.
My dad has always had a soft spot for Arnold Palmers as a drink. They are a perfect summertime beverage. This cake gives them a run for their money!
We are big sheet cake fans, they are no fuss and perfect for potlucks and BBQs. This one is a new favorite, but we also love MiMi’s other original sheet cake recipe the chocolate chip cookie dough sheet cake.
Sweet Tea Sheet Cake
- 1 cup water
- 3 tea bags (your favorite blend)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a half sheet jelly roll pan (13×18″)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Turn off heat then add tea bags to brew for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and add butter. Bring back heat until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the tea and butter into the rest of the ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into prepared sheet pan and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes during which you should begin making the icing.
- Combine the butter and milk in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixtures just starts to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon extract.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, whisking until it reaches a good consistency for spreading.
- After the cake has cooled for 20 minutes, spread the warm icing over the cake. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.