Kelly’s cheese soup is loaded with broccoli, noodles and more. It is smooth, creamy, comforting and of course cheesy. It is hearty enough to eat like a meal and is sure to become a new favorite soup.
This cheese soup is the ultimate in comfort food. It is super creamy and really delicious. Plus it is loaded with cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.
The pasta makes for a really nice addition, it is almost like macaroni and cheese in a full meal soup kind of form. Let me tell you, it is a favorite around here.
My town has a group of restaurants that are some of the most popular in town. They are all owned by a local family and have some of the best food around.
In fact, my husband worked at one for a good part of his twenties. It serves pizza and Mexican food.
I know it sounds like a strange combo, but it really works. Add in pitchers of margaritas, and you are really in business.
Kelly’s is the Irish pub version of the four hot spots. They serve great burgers, salads, sandwiches, chicken fingers and all of the things you would expect at a family pub.
They also have a salad bar with everything you would expect plus big fluffy cinnamon rolls and their famous cheese soup.
In fact, a lot of people visit just for the salad bar and wouldn’t be the least bit ashamed just getting the cheese soup and cinnamon rolls. Hey, if it’s good, it’s good!
My grandma has been making this copycat version of the cheese soup for as long as I can remember and it is every bit as good. In fact, I pulled this recipe from the family cookbook she and my aunt put together when I was still a relatively young kid.
There is so much yummy goodness in this soup. There are plenty of veggies, potatoes, noodles and of course a creamy cheesy delicious base. It is like a big old comforting hug on a cold day.
Plus it comes together super quickly. It is a great soup to make in a large slow cooker as well. Just be careful to watch it once it is all melted as the edges can scorch a bit if you aren’t careful.
This cheese soup has graced many a get together in my family. In fact it has graced grandma’s table on Christmas as well as been a hit at many a “souper bowl” party.
It is good enough to be served to company and easy enough to make on a random cold Monday night. So please, please, try this soup. It is like taking a taste of my hometown home with you.
More favorite soup recipes:
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup is loaded with everything we love in our chicken pot pie, but in a simpler package. We love serving it with a biscuit or little bits of pie crust on top.
- Creamy White Chicken Chili is a favorite for football season or any time. It is mild but flavorful and delicious.
- Maw-Maw’s Chili Mac is the chili I knew growing up. It is really mild and has macaroni noodles in it!
What makes this soup so good?
There is just something about a bowl of cheesy broccoli soup with noodles. But this soup has so much more than that. The potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and mushrooms add a lot of texture and flavor to the soup. It eats like a meal and is really comforting and filling.
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
One of the fabulous parts about soup recipes is they are very easy to customize and make your own. They are very forgiving and hard to mess up too bad as long as you don’t scorch the cheese!
You could very easily make this recipe a vegetarian soup if you would like. Just use cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup in place of the chicken version.
Then use water or vegetable broth in place of the chicken stock. You’ll be enjoying a tasty meat free meal that is perfect for vegetarians or a great option for Lent.
This soup is thick and gets thicker as it cools. To thin it out some, just add in a little more water or broth.
If you don’t like the California mix of veggies, use all broccoli. Then you would have a super chunky delicious version of broccoli cheese soup!
I usually use either wide egg noodles or elbow macaroni in this recipe. You can really use any shape that will fit well on your spoon.
Just let your taste buds and common sense be your guide. If you come up with a fabulous variation, please let me know about it. I love to try your suggestions!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Copycat Kelly’s Cheese Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2½ cups diced potatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 10.5 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
- 12 oz. bag frozen California mix vegetables
- 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms
- 6 oz macaroni noodles cooked and drained
- 2 lb. Velveeta cubed
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken stock, potatoes and onion to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes.6 cups chicken stock, 2½ cups diced potatoes, 1 small onion
- Add the frozen vegetables, mushrooms and cream of chicken soup and continue to cook until vegetables are tender.12 oz. bag frozen California mix vegetables, 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, 2 10.5 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
- Stir in cooked noodles and cubes of cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is creamy.6 oz macaroni noodles, 2 lb. Velveeta