Comfort in a bowl, this creamy chicken pot pie soup has all of that delicious pot pie flavor in soup form. It is easy, delicious and will warm you to your core!
If you love a good creamy chicken pot pie, you are going to love this soup! It is hearty and full of the good stuff. Plus it smells amazing as it simmers on the stove.
This is a great warm you up meal that is easily adapted to the ingredients you have on hand. Float a biscuit or bits of pie crust on top for the perfect pot pie finish.
To me a major part of the draw of a soup on a cold day is the warm comforting hug it gives you from the inside out. There is just something so cozy and homey about a nice bowl of hot soup.
Very few things get more cozy and homey than a homemade chicken pot pie. So, why not bring two of the coziest homiest deliciousest (sure, why not?!) things around together for the ultimate comfort food in a bowl!
This could easily be made with leftover chicken if you have it. Otherwise a couple of boneless chicken breasts or thighs will be perfect.
Then you are just a few minutes away from a hot bowl of love. The creamy broth, chunky veggies and bites of chicken are a perfect base.
This time I used biscuits as my topper and the buttery goodness adds that extra layer of special to the bowl.
For a real pot pie feeling, you can also blind bake a pie shell and crumble it on top. No matter how you top it, just promise me you’ll make it!
What are your favorite fall and winter comfort foods? We still have a few good months of cold weather left, so there is plenty of time to enjoy!
More Creamy Chicken Recipes:
- One Pot Creamy Chicken and Noodles has all of these flavors in a thicker pasta form. You throw everything in one pot and let it cook together so there is big flavor and minimal dishes!
- MiMi’s Creamy Chicken Pot Pie is one of our favorites for sure! It is creamy, comforting and oh so delicious.
- Creamy Chicken and Gravy in the Slow Cooker is a perfect topping for mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice. It cooks all day while you go about your life and it will be ready when you get home.
- Creamy chicken and biscuits casserole is comfort food at its finest. It is an easy to make all in one dinner that your whole family is going to love.
Shred up some leftover chicken or part of a rotisserie chicken instead of using raw chicken if that’s what you have. Just toss it in with the veggies.
I sometimes use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables instead of peas and carrots. Use whatever you like best.
If you don’t have biscuits or pie crust on hand, don’t despair. The soup is great on it’s own as well.
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- optional: biscuits or pie crust for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown chicken on both sides. It doesn’t need to be cooked through, but it should get a nice color on the outside.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and return to pot with onions and garlic. Add chicken stock, being sure to scrape up all the good bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Drop heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in peas.
- Mix cornstarch into cold milk and then stir milk mixture and thyme into soup. Bring to a simmer to thicken.
- Serve with warm biscuits or bits of baked pie crust.