Creamy chicken and gravy in the slow cooker is like making a plate of diner comfort food at home. It is so easy to make and will make you feel are warm and full inside!
Come home to a creamy comforting dinner. This chicken and gravy cooks in the slow cooker while you do whatever you want.
Walking into the house and having it smell delicious is always a great feeling. Just a few quick steps and dinner is ready!
Pile it on buns for sandwiches, or serve it on rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. It’s good on any of them!
I really try to vary what we eat for our weekly family dinner. With the weather warming up a bit I thought I would make one last slow cooker full of comfort food before we get the grill out. Nothing says comfort food like gravy and biscuits.
Silly as it may sound, not everyone in our family loves biscuits, so I made some noodles to go along with it as well.
The chicken and gravy is really good. I’m sure I will be making it again.
Kristie has already requested the recipe, so I know this will be made by her also. She said it’s even better reheated the next day.
MiMi made this for the blog back in 2015. It was a hit with the family then and has been made quite a few times since then.
It was good on the biscuits and on the noodles. We have served it on buns as a sandwich and on a slice of white bread as an opened faced sandwich.
My favorite way to serve it though, is on mashed potatoes!
We liked this recipe so much that we made it to serve on buns for my cousin’s bun in the oven baby shower. It is definitely a simple recipe to make and a great recipe for an event like that because the prep work can be done ahead and it keeps warm well in the slow cooker for the party!
So now the only question is, do you eat the corn on the side or mix it all in?!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning (or garlic, rosemary, salt and onion powder mixed)
- 2-3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 teaspoons chicken base or bullion
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rub the chicken with the seasonings. Brown in the olive oil in a skillet.
- In slow cooker, whisk together chicken base, soup and water. Add browned chicken breasts
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Shred chicken to desired consistency with forks. Stir together corn starch and a Tablespoon of cold water. Add cornstarch slurry to slow cooker with chicken and turn to high for about 15-20 minutes or until it starts to bubble and thickens.
- Turn off heat and stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve on rice, noodles, buns, bread or mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.