Creamy white chicken chili is a perfect cold weather meal. Make it for game day or any day to warm up from the inside out.
An easy and delicious pot of creamy white chicken chili is the perfect way to warm up. It is flavorful and comforting all at once and quick to make too.
It is requested often at Mimi’s house and she’s always happy to oblige.
When the weather gets chilly, I love to warm up with a bowl of soup. My husband however is soup adverse.
I find he is much less likely to complain if the soup is hearty. Of course being crazy delicious doesn’t hurt either.
Luckily this fits the bill on both accounts. He may still take umbrage to the fact I called it chili though.
To him chili is red. He also prefers it to be made with ground venison and an assortment of beans, not that he’s opinionated or anything. 😉
The good thing is you don’t normally have to name dinner when you serve it, so he doesn’t have a chance to question the semantics.
Instead he ate a bowl and then another. He even commented on how good it was a few times along the way.
I’m not surprised, as he likes it every time in spite of himself. He must forget between batches to protect himself from having to admit he likes either a soup or white chili!
Whatever it takes to keep him happy! I’ve always loved it, so I’m happy to continue making it no matter what.
I asked MiMi for the recipe after having it at her house a few times. My little sister loves it too.
My brothers who have very similar soup for dinner and what makes chili beliefs as my husband also love it. They just can’t help themselves.
The fact that it is so simple to make only makes it that much better. But even if it were more complicated, I’d still have to make it. It’s too good to stop!
You can definitely enjoy it just as it is. You can also dress it up with your favorite toppings.
We love it with a dollop of sour cream and some pickled jalapenos. It’s also great with shredded cheese, corn chips or cornbread.
How do you feel about soup for dinner? And can chili be white?
Either way, do yourself a favor and make a pot of this goodness. It’ll help fill your tummy while you ponder these deep questions.
More great filling soup recipes:
If you like chili, you are going to love chicken tortilla soup. It is lovely on its own, but we love to load it up with fun toppings.
Turn your leftover pulled pork into something completely different! Pulled pork enchilada soup has the flavor of enchiladas in a hearty and easy package.
Creamy chicken pot pie soup has all of that delicious pot pie flavor in soup form. It is easy, delicious and will warm you to your core!
Cheese soup is the ultimate in comfort food. It is super creamy and really delicious. My version is loaded with pasta, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.
More fun chili recipes:
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces chopped green chiles (2 cans)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 15 ounce cans great northern beans (or your favorite white bean)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup half and half
- Cut chicken breast into small cubes. Peel and dice onion.1 pound chicken breast, 1 onion
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through and onions are translucent.1½ teaspoons garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add beans, chicken broth, chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne to pot. Bring to a boil and then drop to heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.8 ounces chopped green chiles, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 15 ounce cans great northern beans (or your favorite white bean), ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and half and half.8 ounces sour cream, ½ cup half and half
- Serve with desired toppings.