Loaded jalapeno cornbread has cheese, bacon, and more packed inside. Using Jiffy cornbread mix makes it super simple to make, and all of the extra flavorful ingredients make it out of this world delicious.
Skillet cornbread gets kicked up a few notches with the addition of jalapenos, bacon, cheese, sour cream, and more. It is wonderful on its own and even better with butter and honey on top.
Table of Contents
Cornbread is a perfect side to soups and chilis. Plain skillet cornbread or homemade corn muffins are a great option, but when you are looking for something extra special, this loaded cornbread recipe is the way to go.
Making Jiffy cornbread with jalapenos is one way to turn up the flavor, but this recipe takes it even further with more peppers, bacon, cheese, and more.
Making Loaded Cornbread with Jalapenos
I know there is a great debate about whether or not sugar belongs in cornbread. Where we are from, cornbread is a little bit sweet.
So, starting with a couple of boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix adds that sweet note to this recipe. Adding a diced jalapeno adds a little bit of spice that plays so well against that slightly sweet background.
Bacon and cheddar add savory and salty notes, plus just a bit of smokey flavor. While the sour cream adds just a bit of tang and a rich moist texture to the final cornbread.
It all comes together to make one out of this world flavor combination. And this would be very good without doing anything past this.
But to take it up yet another level, there is a little trick in the baking process. Rather than pouring the batter into a cold skillet, you pour it into melted butter in a hot skillet
That gives the edges the crisp, buttery, golden texture that makes it even better. Now, when you bring all of these things together, you have an excellent side for chili or to serve with BBQ.
What can I use if I don’t have a cast iron skillet?
If you don’t have a 10-inch cast iron skillet, you can use a similarly sized oven safe skillet. You could also use an 8-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch cake pan.
Go ahead and preheat the pan with the butter like the recipe suggests, but you may need to add a couple of minutes to the bake time.
Tips and Tricks
For extra deliciousness, serve with pats of butter and a drizzle of honey.
For extra spice, leave some of the seeds and ribs in the jalapenos. Or replace some of the sweet peppers with more diced jalapenos.
Swap cheddar cheese for your favorite. Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, or Monterey jack would be great options.
If you prefer less crispy sides, do not preheat the skillet before adding the batter.
If the top starts to brown too fast, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Store cornbread in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or up to 3 months in the freezer.
To reheat, wrap in foil and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350F oven.
More Ways to Doctor Up Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
If you like the idea of starting with a box of corn muffin mix and ending up with something different, there are plenty of fun ways to doctor up that little box of mix.
Corn casserole has been a favorite of our family’s for a long time. The Jiffy mix is mixed with corn, creamed corn, sour cream, and more to make a moist and delicious side dish.
Or for something different, try making jalapeno popper butter swim biscuits. They feature cheese and jalapenos in a buttery biscuit.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review in the recipe card.
Loaded Jalapeno Cornbread
- ½ cup butter divided
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 17 ounces Jiffy corn muffin mix 2 boxes
- ½ cup mini sweet peppers seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon cooked and diced
- 1 Tablespoon chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Preheat 10” cast iron in the oven.
- Melt half of the stick of butter.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, eggs, sour cream, and sugar.⅔ cup milk, 2 large eggs, ⅓ cup sour cream, 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Pour cornbread mix into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the cornbread mix and stir in the wet ingredients (don’t overmix, it will be slightly lumpy).17 ounces Jiffy corn muffin mix
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients.½ cup mini sweet peppers, 1 jalapeno, ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese, 4 slices bacon, 1 Tablespoon chives
- Melt the other ½ of the stick of butter in the skillet – be careful it will be very hot.
- Once butter turns a golden brown, pour batter into hot skillet and butter.
- If desired, top with additional sliced peppers.
- Bake 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 min before slicing and serving.