A tasty dinner that’s full of flavor and short on dishes, this sheet pan sausage with peppers and onions is perfect tossed with pasta or served over rice.
Italian sausage and peppers are a classic combination for a good reason: they are delicious together! Cooking them along with onions on a sheet pan makes it super easy.
The clean up is really easy as well. Serve the mixture over pasta or rice for a fabulously quick meal.
It seems we have been on a roll of quick and easy weeknight meals with Italian inspired flavors around here lately. I do tend to go through phases of cooking where certain flavors just sound really good, do you have food phases too?
Quick and easy is pretty much a constant out of necessity until either the time fairy arrives or a winning lottery ticket blows in the back door. 😉
I have been waiting with baited breath for one of those two scenarios to play out with no luck. Maybe this is the year!
In the meantime we have to plan our weeknight menus to be full of quick and easy meals. Pasta is a great way to quickly and affordably add bulk to a meal, so it shows up on our dinner table frequently.
The fact that we are almost always happy to eat pasta doesn’t hurt a thing. There are so many fun flavor profiles you can do too, so it’s hard to get tired of it.
When you go from creamy BBQ pulled pork spaghetti one night to one pot taco pasta the next, it hardly feels repetitive. So go ahead and do this yummy sheet pan sausage and pepper dinner the next day without worrying about burn out!
If you happen to be one if the mythical creatures that doesn’t like pasta (but, why and how?!) you could always serve this over rice and it would be delicious as well. Or half the oil and pile it on a bun!
As it is written though, it made a delicious and easy dinner with enough leftovers for me to have a couple of work lunches as well!
The recipe is definitely simple enough. Just chop the veggies and let them marinate for a bit.
Throw it all on a sheet pan and let it bake while the pasta cooks.
The “marinade” then becomes the sauce for the pasta when you throw it all together. A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese is all that stands between you and dinner!
Every time I make a sheet pan dinner I wonder why I don’t make them more often. They have all been so flavorful and easy.
If you like this yummy dinner, you’re going to love its fall cousin sausage, kale and squash sheet pan dinner. It is loaded with sausage just like this recipe, but with an autumnal flavor profile.
Or for a fun summer dinner, make a lovely summer veggies and sausage sheet pan supper. It is loaded with summer’s best produce and enough sausage to make a meal of it.
If a crockpot is more your style, try slow cooker brats with peppers and onion. They are ready to pile on a bun whenever you are.
Do you have favorite sheet pan suppers? I’d love to hear all about them!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
Sheet Pan Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- pasta or rice and Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F and spray a rimmed sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.⅓ cup olive oil, 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1½ teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut onion and peppers into large chunks, about 1″ square.1 onion, 3 bell peppers
- Toss onions and peppers in oil and vinegar mixture and let sit for 10 minutes if you have the time.
- Cut the sausages into bite sized pieces.1 pound Italian sausage links
- Spread veggies and sausages over sheet pan and then drizzle with any remaining oil mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are done to your liking.
- Toss pasta with veggies, sausage and pan drippings. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.