This dinner is full of flavor and fresh summer vegetables! It is quick to make and is perfect as is or served with a bit of rice or pasta.
Summer brings a lot of things to be thankful for. Whether it is more sunshine after the short dark days of winter or the warmer weather, even if it always turns to oppressive heat faster than I think it should. It also brings the summer produce!
Maybe you get your fresh priduce from the farmer’s market. Maybe you are lucky like us and get all you can use from the back yard and the generous gifts of family members with huge gardens. (Thank you, K.C.)
Either way it is a time of year when fresh produce is plentiful. Thank goodness too, because all of those casseroles and braises we love in the winter are hard to fathom in the heat of summer. Instead we tend to turn to more fresh and fast food.
This dinner is both fresh and fast too! Since my sweet tooth got the best of me yesterday and I shared a sweet zucchini recipe, I figured I had better give you a savory one today. This was definitely a hit with our family and I can’t wait until next zucchini season to make it again!
The best part is how quickly it comes together. Just chop your veggies and toss them in a simple marinade. Drain them and top with bits of Italian sausage.
While that’s all in the oven, make some pasta or rice. Top it with a bit of Parmesan cheese at the last minute and dinner is ready. Easy peasy!
It was fun to use so much homegrown produce in this dinner. My brother grew the squash and onion. The cherry tomatoes were from the plant Little Dude has been lovingly caring for.
All we have to do is figure out how to get a mushroom farm goung and have a sausage making party and we’d really be in business!
I don’t make many sheet pan dinners, but after seeing how quick and tasty this one was I think that is about to change. What are your favorite sheet pan dinners?
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes or a 2-3 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Veggies & Meat
- 2 pattypan squash or yellow summer squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and grease a half sheet pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Cut the vegetables into large bite sized pieces. Toss with marinade and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Drain Marinade from vegetables and arrange veggies on the sheet pan.
- Cut Italian sausage into about 1″ pieces. Arrange over the top of the vegetables.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are cooked to your liking and the sausage is cooked through. Grate some Parmesan cheese over the pan and return to oven for just a minute or two to melt.
- Serve over pasta or rice if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 508Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 992mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.