This dinner is full of flavor and fresh summer vegetables, making it a perfect easy sheet pan meal. The sausage gives so much flavor to the vegetables, and together, they are hearty and delicious. Serve it over rice or pasta, and dinner is done.
Turn fresh garden vegetables into a hearty meal with the help of Italian sausage and a sheet pan. Marinating the vegetables for a few minutes adds another layer of flavor, and everything is roasted together, making it irresistible.
Summer brings a lot of things to be thankful for. Whether it is more sunshine after the short dark days of winter or the warmer weather, even if it always turns to oppressive heat faster than I think it should.
It also brings the summer produce!
Maybe you grow your own, or maybe you get your fresh produce from the farmer’s market. We belong to a CSA, have our own small garden, and are the benefactors of family members with huge beautiful gardens.
No matter where it comes from, this is the time of year when fresh produce is plentiful. Thank goodness, too, because all of those casseroles and braises we love in the winter are hard to fathom in the heat of summer.
Instead, we tend to turn to more fresh and fast food.
This was definitely a hit with our family, and I can’t wait until the next zucchini season to make it again!
Making This Easy Sheet Pan Meal
During the summer, the last thing you want to do is spend all night in the kitchen. There are many more fun things to be doing, and the evenings are filled with sports and activities.
Luckily, this recipe comes together really quickly. Just chop your veggies and toss them in a simple marinade.
Allow them to soak up all of that flavor. Then drain the excess liquid and spread everything on a rimmed sheet pan.
Top the vegetables with chunks of Italian sausage. That will add even more flavor as it cooks.
While that’s all in the oven, make some pasta or rice. Top it with a bit of Parmesan cheese at the last minute, and dinner is ready. Easy peasy!
It was fun to use so much homegrown produce in this dinner. My brother grew the squash and onion. The cherry tomatoes were from the plant Little Dude has been lovingly caring for.
We even make our own Italian sausage, so all we have to do is figure out how to get a mushroom farm going we’d really be in business!
I don’t make many sheet pan dinners, but after seeing how quick and tasty this one was, I think that is about to change. What are your favorite sheet pan dinners?
Italian Sausage and Summer Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Veggies & Meat
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 banana peppers
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and grease a half sheet pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.⅓ cup olive oil, 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 3 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 Tablespoons basil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the vegetables into large bite sized pieces. Toss with marinade and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.1 medium yellow summer squash, 1 medium zucchini, 2 cups cherry tomatoes, 1 medium onion, 2 banana peppers, 8 oz mushrooms
- Drain Marinade from vegetables and arrange veggies on the sheet pan.1 lb Italian sausage links
- Cut Italian sausage into about 1″ pieces. Arrange over the top of the vegetables.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are cooked to your liking and the sausage is cooked through. Grate some Parmesan cheese over the pan and return to oven for just a minute or two to melt.4 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Serve over pasta or rice if desired.