Roasting radishes completely changes them into something sweet and delicious. Toss in the radish greens to make a great fresh side dish. Even people who don’t think they like radishes are sure to be surprised how good they are!
I never thought I liked radishes. But then, I had only ever had the ones from the store.
Fresh radishes, right from the garden are a completely different thing altogether. But even if you don’t like fresh spring radishes, you have to give these a try.
Roasted they are yet a completely different version of themselves. The peppery bite almost disappears and their sweetness shines through.
It used to be that I would only use the root part of these kinds of vegetables. Then I learned the fun things you can do with beet greens.
Now I look forward to the greens as much as the vegetables themselves. In fact, my husband loves beet greens but will only eat the obligatory one beet a year in order to prove to himself that he still doesn’t like them.
He happily plants them though so I will put the greens in things. I don’t have to get everything he does… good thing too, ’cause sometime he’s a strange creature! 😉
So please, go to your farmer’s market (or your backyard garden) and get some radishes. Cut them up, add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and give them a quick roast.
Wilt the greens and add a little butter to finish them off (because you know butter makes everything better!) You could even get sassy and give them a quick squeeze of lemon.
But I prefer mine simple and just a bit salty. MMM! You are going to love it!
- 20 radishes or just a nice size bunch of them
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- greens from the radishes, stems removed and very roughly chopped
- 1 T butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut small radishes in half and bigger ones in quarters. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and place in cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring (or just giving the pan a couple good shakes) half way through. They should be fork tender when you remove them.
- Place them on stove and top with chopped greens. Cook over medium if needed to wilt the greens. Finish at the last minute by melting butter over the radishes and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.