Chocolate cake, fluffy vanilla filling and rich fudge icing come together to make this fun layer cake. It’s like a ding dong only bigger!
A great injustice has been done and I do apologize! Three savory recipes in a row?! From me – the queen of sweets?!
Don’t worry, I will make up for it! (I know, there are much bigger problems in the world. I just makes my heart hurt to think about them, so I think of chocolate instead.)
This ding-dong cake will surely be enough for you to forgive me right? Chocolate cake, fluffy vanilla filling and a decadent chocolate top. It is one of your favorite childhood snack cakes all grown up!
Ruth was my grandpa’s dental assistant when I was a kid. My dad shared office space with him, so we got to see her frequently.
This cake was one she made and our family fell in love with. Ruth made her cake using a chocolate cake mix, which you can totally do to. I never have cake mixes on hand anymore, so I whipped up a quick Devilishly Good Chocolate Cake.
It doesn’t take any more time than putting together a cake mix and it uses super simple ingredients that I always have on hand. Then all you have to do is put together a quick cream filling that is a lot like my favorite whipped cream frosting recipe, and a deliciously fudgy frosting pours over the top and drips down the side. You are going to love this cake!
I brought this to a dinner at my father-in-law’s house and it was a hit. Everyone loved the fudgy frosting and I think the deeper flavor of the cake really went well with the light filling.
- 1 chocolate cake baked in two 9-inch round cake pans*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 T flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3 T butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 T hot water
- Bake and cool cakes according to the recipe/box.
- Whisk together cold milk and flour in a saucepan until it is combined. Cook over medium-low heat until it forms a thick paste, stirring frequently. Cool to room temperature.
- In your mixer cream together shortening, butter and sugar. Add cooled milk paste and beat on high for 10 minutes. Spread between cake layers.
- For icing, melt together chocolate and butter. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add about 3 T of hot water, a teaspoon at a time, beating constantly until you get a consistency that is still relatively thick, but flows easily when poured. Spread over the top of the cake, allowing glaze to run down the sides.
Feel free to use a mix, but I whipped up a devilishly good chocolate cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.