Take a bite of the tropics with this fun breakfast! This baked oatmeal has a great creamy texture but is hearty enough to be cut into pieces. It is just sweet enough to taste like a treat but is a pretty healthy way to start the day!
Turn that classic dessert of pineapple upside down cake into a nutritious breakfast delight! This baked oatmeal is loaded with the good stuff. It has the flavors you love in a much healthier package. So go ahead and indulge in this fruity goodness.
Have you ever had an idea in your head that just gets embedded and won’t leave you alone? That was this baked oatmeal for me.
I thought of it months ago and even went so far as to buy the pineapple rings and cherries. Then life happened and I didn’t get it made.
Usually if something isn’t made within the first week or so after I think of it, the ingredients end up being used for something else and I move on. Not with this oatmeal though. I just new I had to give it a try and see how it worked.
I am so glad I did! It might be my new favorite baked oatmeal recipe and I don’t say that lightly. I love baked oatmeal! Now I am hoping to remake my pumpkin pie baked oatmeal and hot chocolate baked oatmeal soon.
It has been a while and they are both soooo good. We’ll see if they give this pineapple version a run for its money in the favorite department.
When deciding how I wanted to actually execute this oatmeal, I had a lot to consider. I wanted to keep the oatmeal relatively healthy, but with a certain tropical decadence like you would expect.
So I started with my maple banana baked oatmeal recipe and did some fairly major adjusting. I did use bananas to help give it some natural sweetness and creamy texture.
Then rather than dump the pineapple juice from the can, I used it to replace some of the liquid to cram in as much pineapple flavor as possible. The extra pineapple rings got chopped and stirred in as well.
Of course the remaining rings went on top. I sprinkled a bit of brown sugar on top hoping to give some of that caramelized flavor but I think you could really skip that if you are watching your sugar or calories.
What you should not skip is making this oatmeal. It is so good and perfect for this time of year when the mornings are chilly and you want something comforting and hearty but the days are warm making you still want summer flavors.
I served our with a bit of vanilla yogurt. It is also delicious plain or would take nicely to a little whipped cream if you are feeling decadent!
Have you tried any baked oatmeal recipes yet? What are your favorite flavors?
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 20 oz can of pineapple rings in juice
- about 1/4 cup of milk (depending on amount of liquid in can)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 9 maraschino cherries
- optional: 2-3 additional Tablespoons of brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8-inch pan
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the eggs and yogurt.
- Drain the juice from the can into a 1 cup measure. If there isn’t a full cup of pineapple juice, bring the total volume to 1 cup using the milk. Stir 1 cup of juice/milk into the banana and egg mixture.
- Mix in the baking soda, brown sugar and rolled oats until combined.
- Set aside 9 pineapple rings and roughly chop the rest. Fold chopped pineapple into oatmeal and then pour oatmeal into prepared pan.
- Arrange remaining pineapple rings over oatmeal and bake for 50-55 minutes. or until set in the middle. Remove from oven and place a cherry in each pineapple ring.
- Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla yogurt if desired. It is also great at room temperature or even cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 24gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.