Peanut butter cheesecake brownies are every bit as rich and delicious as they sound. A brownie base surrounds a creamy peanut butter and cream cheese filling. Top it off with more chocolate and peanut butter cups for an extra decadent and tasty treat.
Imagine this: take a layer of chocolate brownie and add peanut butter cheesecake. Now cover that with rich ganache and top it all off with chopped peanut butter cups. It’s a rich sinful bite of heaven and you deserve a slice!
If you are a chocolate and peanut butter lover, this is the treat for you. They are a bit over the top, but sometimes that is just what you need.
Making the Brownies
This recipe is built on a batch of family size brownies. Any mix that makes a 9×13-inch pan of brownies will do.
You can also make a homemade brownie mix easily enough and keep it in the pantry for when you need a quick treat. Or use your favorite homemade brownie recipe, just make sure it is sized for the 9×13-inch pan.
Once the brownie batter is in the pan, make a simple peanut butter cheesecake mixture. It only takes a few ingredients.
Just make sure the cream cheese is nice and softened so you don’t end up with lumps. Add the peanut butter, condensed milk, and eggs to make the filling.
Dollop it over the brownie mixture, then gently spread it. I like to leave border of brownie batter around the edges to form a crust when it is baked.
Then pop the whole thing in the oven and bake it until it is set. Once it is cooled, top it with some ganache and chopped peanut butter cups.
Both are totally unnecessary, but oh so good. And we have come this far, so why not go all the way?
More fabulous peanut butter and chocolate desserts:
- Layered Buckeye Cheesecake with Brownie Crust
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Buckeye Brownies
Tips and Tricks
Be sure your cream cheese has plenty of time to soften and your egg is at room temperature. This prevents lumps in the cheesecake layer and makes it easier to spread.
I’ve made the ganache layer with dark chocolate, semi-sweet and milk chocolate. We prefer the milk chocolate because it goes so well with the peanut butter cups.
Any brownie mix will do, just make sure it’s sized for a 9×13″ pan. You can even make you own brownie mix and keep it in the pantry for recipes just like this one.
If you are avoiding peanuts, you can use other nut butters, or sunflower butter. Just omit the peanut butter cups on top or use another candy if you prefer.
Because of the cream cheese, it is best to keep these brownies in the refrigerator. Just store them in a pan with a tight fitting lid, or transfer them to an airtight container.
You can freeze extra brownies for longer storage. Just defrost them in the refrigerator overnight and they should be as good as new.
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- 19.5 ounce brownie mix plus the ingredients on the box
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons cream
- 1 cup chopped peanut butter cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your baking pan. (a 12 inch round, 9×13, or two 9 inch pie plates or cake pans)
- Mix together the brownie mix and the ingredients listed on the box. Pour into the prepared pan.19.5 ounce brownie mix
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add the peanut butter and continue to beat until incorporated and smooth.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Mix in the sweetened condensed milk and egg, stirring until smooth and incorporated.14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, 1 egg
- Spread the peanut butter mixture over the brownie mixture, leaving a gap around the edges for a crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make ganache, warm cream and chocolate in microwave in 20-30 second bursts. Stir vigorously between trips to the microwave and stop cooking as soon as you are able to stir it smooth. Spread over cooled peanut butter cheesecake. Sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups.12 ounces milk chocolate chips, 3 Tablespoons cream, 1 cup chopped peanut butter cups