If you love Italian flavors and meatballs, this Italian sausage meatloaf recipe is for you. It combines sausage with ground beef, marinara sauce, and plenty of cheese.
This Italian meatloaf is classic comfort with a twist. The marinara keeps the flavorful meat mixture moist, and the cheese makes it extra delicious.
What Makes This Meatloaf Extra Tasty
The blend of ground beef and Italian sausage gives you the best of both worlds. The beef gives you the classic meatloaf flavor.
The sausage adds big flavor and plenty of richness. The combination almost guarantees your meatloaf won’t be dry or boring.
It makes a nice big loaf, so you can feed a crowd or get a couple of meals out of it. The leftovers make great sandwiches or cut some into bite-sized pieces and stir it into pasta.
If you want longer storage. Wrap cooked meatloaf and freeze for up to three months.
You can easily change it up. If you like more spice, use hot Italian sausage and add some red pepper flakes.
Prepping Your Meatloaf in Advance
You can prep the meatloaf up to a day ahead of time. Just shape it and cover it with plastic wrap.
Just take it out of the refrigerator while you preheat the oven to take the chill off. Then, add a minute or two to the bake time to make sure it is cooked through.
Use a meat thermometer in the middle of the meatloaf to make sure it’s done. It should read around 165F in the center.
More Meatloaf Recipes
If you like Italian flavors in your meatloaf, you will love chicken Parmesan meatloaf. It is stuffed with cheese and pesto for an extra tasty meal.
Or try making a stuffed meatball meatloaf. It is made with beef and plenty of cheese and pesto.
Maybe you are in the mood for more southwestern flavors. Then you should make a Mexican meatloaf instead.
For a quicker dinner, make mini meatloaf sheet pan dinner. The potatoes and vegetables cook on the same pan as the meatloaves for a whole meal on one pan.
Italian Sausage Meatloaf
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 cups marinara sauce divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dice onion and green pepper relatively finely.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté diced onion and pepper until the onions are translucent and everything is softened.
- Set aside 1 cup of marinara sauce and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Put everything else in a large glass mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix until uniform.
- Form into a meatloaf in the center of a 9×13-inch pan. Top with remaining marinara sauce.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and the center of the meatloaf registers at least 160°F on a meat thermometer.