The flavors we love in jalapeno poppers come together to make this bacon jalapeno cheese ball an irresistible appetizer. It is perfect for parties, BBQs, game day, and more.
If you are looking for a fun new way to get the flavor of jalapeno poppers without the work, this recipe is for you. It is creamy, flavorful, and perfect with crackers.
Table of Contents
Cheese Balls, the Perfect Appetizer
There is just something about a good cheese ball that makes it easy to love. This version has the perfect mix of spicy jalapenos and savory bacon.
From about mid summer until the end of fall, our family has stuffed jalapenos for an appetizer almost every weekend. We change up the fillings frequently, but jalapenos are a staple.
So it is a surprise that it took me this long to turn the idea into a cheese ball. Now, we have a new favorite to work into the rotation.
Making a Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball
If your cream cheese is good and soft, you don’t need anything more than a mixing bowl and a spatula to make the cheese ball. You can use an electric mixer or food processor if you don’t feel like flexing your muscles.
Stir in the seasonings, shredded cheddar cheese, and half of the crumbled bacon and diced jalapenos. You want to save the rest of the bacon and peppers to coat the cheese ball later.
Speaking of the peppers, I like to remove the ribs and seeds. Then I dice them relatively finely to help spread out the heat.
These jalapenos were on the mild side. If yours are really spicy, you may want to reduce the amount a bit.
Once the cheese ball mixture is well mixed, spoon it onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to bring it together and shape it into a ball.
You can do this step up to a few days in advance. Then, just chill the wrapped cheese ball until you are about ready to serve it.
About 20 minutes before serving, roll the ball in the remaining bacon and diced peppers. Allow it to warm up for a little bit so it is soft enough to spread.
Serve it with crackers or toasted baguette slices. It would also be good on pretzels, celery, or any other sturdy dipper.
More Cheese Ball Recipes
For a more classic cheese ball recipe, try making a cheddar bacon ranch cheese ball. It is always a hit, no matter the occasion.
Or try making a pepperoni cheese ball. It is perfect for pizza lovers and has plenty of pepperoni with basil and cheese.
For a nice creamy option with sweet peppers instead of spicy ones, try making a havarti cheese ball.
Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces bacon
- 4 jalapenos
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Cook the bacon until it is crisp. Drain the grease and crumble or chop into small pieces.16 ounces bacon
- Remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapenos. Dice finely.4 jalapenos
- Put half of the bacon and diced jalapenos in a small container in the refrigerator for later.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, cheddar, and seasonings. Stir in the remaining half of the bacon and jalapenos until it is uniform.16 ounces cream cheese, 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Spoon cheese mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to form the cheese mixture into a ball.
- Wrap with the plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours, but up to 3 days.
- About 20 minutes prior to serving, coat cheese ball in reserved bacon and jalapeno pieces.
- Serve with crackers, or sliced baguette.