Cheddar, bacon and ranch are a perfect combination of flavors for a cheese ball. Get your crackers ready and watch this disappear right before your eyes!
The savory flavors of cheddar, bacon and ranch are the perfect combination for an out of this world cheese ball. It is a perfect appetizer for any party. Cheese balls also transport well, so they are great for tailgating and potlucks too!
The first time I made this cheese ball for the blog was for an apple themed baby shower we were throwing for some friends. I’ll let you see what I said about it the first time around:
Of course it was plenty easy to come up with all sorts of fun apple sweets for the apple themed shower, but it was a little harder to come up with savory ideas. I actually had quite a few of them, but most would be better made and eaten while warm.
I wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the party too, so the more I could make ahead the better. This cheese ball was perfect for that. This was the only thing I made that didn’t actually have any apple in it, but it looked like an apple so it was close enough!
It came together quickly in the food processor. The most time consuming part was covering it in peppers and even that didn’t take long.
I really enjoy the peppers on Ro’s Havarti Cheese Ball so I thought it would be a great way to make this red as well! It was about 2/3 gone after the shower (with plenty of other options available), so I would say it was a hit!
We hosted my husband’s cousin and her family for some snacks Christmas Eve. They were in from out of town and we wanted a chance to see them between all of the other events.
I had a hot cocoa bar set up with all sorts of toppings. The hot chocolate was in the slow cooker and I really liked the recipe. I will have to share it with you soon.
I also mulled some cider in my instant pot and had loads of cookies and candies out. I thought we needed something savory to snack on as well and this cheese ball seemed like the perfect thing.
I didn’t need it to be in the shape of an apple this time around, so I went simple with a round cheese ball. I also kept the coating simple with crushed cracker crumbs and bacon.
I enjoy cheese balls rolled in nuts or herbs, but my herb garden is dormant for the winter and my boys won’t eat nuts. So cracker crumbs it was for a quick and easy win.
His cousin and her girls loved the cheese ball and asked for the recipe, so I figured I had better get it updated so I could send the link over!
What are your favorite cheese ball flavor combinations?
More fun cheese ball recipes:
- Havarti Cheese Ball
- Bacon Bruschetta Cheese Ball
- Pepperoni Pizza Cheese Ball
- Spicy Peach Cheese Ball
- Cookies and Cream Football Cheese Ball
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (1 ounce) package of ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
- Coating options: diced bell peppers, cracker crumbs, chopped nuts, chopped bacon, bread crumbs, fresh herbs (or any combination of the above)
Food Processor Option
- In a food processor, chop cheddar until it is small crumbles.
- Add cream cheese, bacon, ranch mix and chives. Process until well combined.
- Scoop out of processor and place on plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to form the cheese into a ball.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Before serving, coat in desired coatings. Press them into the cheese ball to help them stick. Serve with crackers.
Shredded Cheese and Bowl Option
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together bacon, cream cheese, ranch mix, cheddar and chives.
- Place on plastic wrap and form into a ball. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll in desired coating before serving. Be sure to have plenty of crackers on hand!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.