Fabulous easy to make pumpkin cupcakes that have just enough spice are a perfect fall treat. They come together quickly and will be perfect for your autumn parties.
Pumpkin cupcakes are a fall must make. These babies come together quickly with no special equipment and taste amazing. Put this simple recipe in your back pocket so you’ll be ready for your fall celebrations.
We are headed into October, so it’s time to get ready for all things pumpkin. Don’t worry, I won’t beat you over the head with it, but a few new pumpkin recipes are required.
Last year I shared a super easy chocolate pumpkin cupcake recipe that started with a cake mix. I still love those gems, but I thought we might want a homemade recipe without the chocolate.
This recipe is more for the pumpkin purists. It has simple ingredients and is spiced with just enough cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
If you are a pumpkin spice fanatic, feel free to use that instead. I just tend to have the single spices on hand and using them allows you to customize for your tastes.
Either way, these cupcakes put the pumpkin flavor in the foreground. Plus the bonus is you don’t need any special equipment.
If you have a couple of mixing bowls and a cupcake tin you can make these. The batter is done in just a few minutes. You don’t even have to soften the butter!
They smell great while they bake, so that is another bonus. I wouldn’t blame you for baking them regularly just for the aroma alone!
If you stop here you basically have pumpkin muffins. Have a couple for breakfast without thinking twice. (You’re welcome! 😉)
If you want to go for full on cupcake goodness, you are my peoples. We need some frosting on these puppies.
I used a German buttercream sweetened with brown sugar this time. It is like having a pile of rich brown sugar pudding on top of your cupcake.
It has those caramel notes from the brown sugar and is super creamy. I will share that recipe with you soon!
More great frosting ideas for pumpkin cupcakes:
- Decorator’s Cream Cheese Frosting would be a great way to swirl some of that tangy goodness on these cupcakes. Cream cheese and pumpkin are a classic combination in my mind!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk Buttercream is one of my favorite all purpose frosting recipes. It goes on just about anything, can be customized however you like and has that extra tasty twist from the sweetened condensed milk.
- Easy Caramel Buttercream would be a quick and easy way to get some of those caramel notes on top of your cupcakes. It is a simple American style buttercream, so it comes together in just a few minutes but has that caramel goodness mixed in.
- Italian Meringue Buttercream is another classic that can go on anything. If you are a fan of less sweet frostings and not scared of whipping up some egg whites, you can pipe this stuff onto just about any treat you make!
For another quick and easy pumpkin dessert, whip up some of my grandma’s pumpkin squares. It’s essentially a pumpkin sheet cake with yummy cream cheese frosting!
If you want to enjoy pumpkin baked goods at breakfast time too, whip up some pumpkin streusel muffins. They will be perfect with your favorite fall coffees and teas.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or other neutral cooking oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12 well cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt until it is combined and lump free. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together pumpkin, oil, eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tin.
- Bake for 28-33 minutes or until they bounce back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.