Soft and simple pumpkin cake topped with cream cheese frosting, you may know them as pumpkin bars or pumpkin squares. Either way, these are the things fall dreams are made of! A perennial family favorite.
Soft pumpkin cake topped with cream cheese frosting. These bars are a fall must make. They are a perfect dessert for a crowd.
You can whip up the batter in just a few minutes. The cream cheese frosting makes them creamy and irresistible. Pumpkin bars are the perfect autumnal treat!
My grandma turned 80 a couple of days ago! It is hard to believe she is 80.
She is still so vibrant! After raising six kids, it is amazing she has any energy left.
She drums in an Irish band and always has something fun going on. She grew up on Lake Michigan and goes home for a class reunion almost every year.
A bunch of us got together for dinner to celebrate her big day. We met at a local restaurant where my uncle runs an open mic night.
So, grandma read a poem and then drummed while my uncle piped. He also played guitar and harmonica while singing a few songs.
We all had the best time. I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate grandma’s birthday (other than maybe all going up and partying lake front!)
So, I thought it would be fun to make one of her recipes. With all of the rain lately, I have been in a baking mood.
I looked through the stack of recipes I have from her and ended up on her pumpkin squares. I know it is an strange time of year to post pumpkin baked goods, but I had all of the ingredients on hand.
Plus I was already planning on making another recipe that used the rest of the can of pumpkin, so it worked really nicely. Besides, I could eat pumpkin treats and cream cheese frosting any time!!
I had a very good helper for this recipe. He loves to dump things in the bowl and help stir. I love having him help, even if it does mean a bit of extra mess!
More recipes that make me think of grandma:
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or other neutral cooking oil)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk (or more, as needed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a half sheet pan (about 13x18x1).
- Mix together eggs, oil, sugar and pumpkin in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely, then make frosting.
- To make frosting, combine all ingredients. You can add more milk a few drops at a time if you’d like to thin it out. You want a nice spreadable consistency.
- Spread over cooled bars and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.