This creamy clam dip is a perfect party appetizer. It comes together quickly and is a perfect make ahead snack.
Flavorful cream cheese based clam dip has been a favorite in my family for more decades than I’ve been around. It has vintage roots but is perfectly at home on a modern spread with plenty of chips and vegetables for dipping. A huge double batch is whipped up every time we all get together.
According to the experts at Wikipedia, the recipe for clam dip was first televised in the 1950s. It is said that all of New York City was sold out of canned clams within 24 hours.
I think it’s safe to say it made an impression. I know it definitely made a mark on my family because we’re still eating it almost 70 years later.
At this stage in the game we rarely measure, we just add the basic ingredients until it feels right. It may be slightly different each time but it’s always yummy.
This time I slowed down and measured so I could share it with you. Of course you should taste as you go and adjust to your preferences.
As with most chilled dips, the flavor comes together over time. So whip it up a few hours ahead of the party and all you have to do when it’s time is pull it out and grab some chips and veggies.
Great dipper options for creamy clam dip
- Ruffled chips
- Baby carrots
- Cherry tomatoes
- Raw broccoli florets
- Raw cauliflower
Possible Additions to the Recipe
Stir in a little extra lemon juice
Add a little Old Bay
Give it extra hot sauce
More Great Creamy Dip Recipes
If you love creamy dips for chips and veggies, you may also like homemade caramelized onion dip. It features yummy golden brown onions in a sour cream and cream cheese base.
For a southwestern flavor profile, try making creamy fiesta ranch dip. It is fabulous with tortilla chips or veggies.
Deviled egg dip tastes just like its namesake, but it is easier to make. It is great with cucumber slices, crackers, or chips.
Or make a warm seafood appetizer with Cajun shrimp dip. It has a little bit of spice in a warm cheesy base.
Check out my full collections of dips and spreads for even more inspiration!
Creamy Clam Dip
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounce can clams reserve the juice
- 16 ounces softened cream cheese*
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- a dash or two of hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Drain the can of clams, but do not discard the juice. Set it aside for later.
- Mix together the clam chunks, garlic, cream cheese, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add a little of the reserved clam juice and mix in. Continue to add a bit at a time until you get a nice dipping consistency. About 1/4 cup usually does it for me.
- Adjust seasoning to you liking, the refrigerate until ready to serve.