Banana sheet cake topped with a glossy peanut butter icing is delicious. To make it an ode to Elvis himself we added some chopped bacon and a drizzle of honey. This cake is a delicious way to enjoy the King’s favorite sandwich combo.
Enjoy that sweet and salty combo like the king of rock and roll. This Elvis sheet cake combines bananas, peanut butter, bacon and honey in the most tasty way.
The banana sheet cake whips up quickly and is topped with a pour over peanut butter icing. You can stop there, but to give it that Elvis touch add a bit of bacon and honey to bring it all together.
I have had this idea in my head for a while now. Have you ever just stewed on something you want to make like that?
I have been so anxious to make it, but haven’t had the right opportunity. I try not to make desserts for just the three of us.
My husband usually doesn’t eat dessert multiple days in a row. I however have no problem eating dessert multiple meals in a row…. it’s a gift. Try not to be too jealous!
Anyway, for my own preservation (and sanity) it is best if I make desserts when there are other people around to share.
Do you feel me? I can’t be alone when I say my sweet tooth has a mind of its own. It is quite persuasive and who am I to object to its needs?
Family dinner would be the perfect opportunity to make such things. The problem is MiMi always has her own ideas.
Apparently her house, her dessert. I know, we sound like a dysfunctional family! The struggle is real.
So, when K.C. and Pops decided last minute to have a rib throw-down, I seized the opportunity and offered to be the dessert committee. After all, the only right thing to do after a ribfest is to have a dessert with bacon!
Of course the inspiration is the famous Elvis inspired sandwich. So I used some ripe bananas to make a sheet cake.
Then I made a Texas sheet cake style peanut butter icing. I love how easy they are because you just pour them over the cake.
It really would be delicious just like that, but to take it to the next level I added bacon and a drizzle of honey. It helps add layers of flavor and a bit of that sweet and salty finish.
Little Dude was my big kitchen helper for this recipe as well. He dumped the ingredients in the mixer bowl, made sure the mixer didn’t go anywhere while in operation and of course licked the beaters!
Everyone who has tried it has wrinkled their nose a bit at the idea of it, but nobody has had trouble finishing their piece.
In fact my siblings all took an extra piece home with them. The rest of the cake was quickly eaten by the friends and family the next day.
Alternative topping ideas for your banana sheet cake
Not feeling the bacon and honey topping on this cake? Don’t let that deter you. You can eat it without or add some of these other fun ideas:
- chopped peanuts
- broken up pieces of banana chips
- mini chocolate chips
More great banana and peanut butter treats
- Easy banana cupcakes with peanut butter brown sugar buttercream
- Di’s banana cake
- Peanut butter and chocolate nice cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 large bananas, very ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
Peanut Butter Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons chopped crisp bacon
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13×18″ half sheet pan (I used this one)
- Mix milk and vinegar, set aside
- In mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add bananas, eggs & vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Stir dry ingredients into banana mixture. Add milk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spread in prepared sheet pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating half way through bake time. Remove from oven and frost while warm.
- In a saucepan, cook peanut butter, butter and milk over medium low heat until it starts to bubble. Be sure to stir constantly.
- Add the powdered sugar and whisk well until all lumps are gone. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour over warm cake and spread slightly. Sprinkle with bacon and/or drizzle with honey if desired.
- Cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.