Cajun shrimp dip features lots of big chunks of shrimp in a creamy, cheesy, warm dip. The mix of seasonings and a diced jalapeno bring some spice to make it interesting. It is a tasty appetizer, perfect for a wide variety of occasions.
This creamy Cajun shrimp dip is the stuff snacking dreams are made if. It has just the right amount of spice, plenty of shrimp and gooey melty cheese.
It is hard to stop eating it once you start. Make some for your next party or for game day, you won’t be disappointed.
We happen to love a little spice at our house. Well, two of the three of us do. Little Dude thinks things are too spicy sometimes, but he’ll grow into it!
Peach Habanero Jelly? Now that’s my jam!
I am all about some buffalo chicken dip and have been known to enjoy my hot wings with hot sauce when given the choices of mild, medium or hot.
My husband on the other hand, likes to take it to the extreme. He has been known to leave all of the seeds and ribs in some jalapenos with stuffing them.
When my dad made habanero hot sauce, my husband was the only one brave enough to try it and go back for seconds.
When we go to a wing place to watch football he has to order the blazin’ sauce.
The funny part is, no matter how many times he says he likes it, I am not sure I can believe it. His face betrays him every time. A bite or two in he turns bright red.
The sweat beads form on his forehead. His eyes well up with tears.
“Mmmm these are good” is was his mouth says. “Fire! Fire! Please help me!” is what the rest of his body says.
Crazy guy. I guess whatever makes him happy!
This dip will not bring tears to your eyes. It is much more likely to bring a smile to your face.
There is definitely a Cajun kick, but the sweetness of the shrimp and creaminess of the cheese turns it into a super pleasant warmth rather than a smack your face burn.
I have made this dip for everything from Easter open houses to retirement parties. It is a hit every time.
Any time you need an appetizer, this dip should be in the running. It is so good!
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
As written, this dip is absolutely loaded with shrimp. You could get away with using half the amount if you want to.
Or stretch the recipe further by doubling the amount of cream cheese and mayonnaise. Up the spices a little bit too, and you can make more dip for not much more money.
If you don’t like the idea of mayonnaise in the dip, you could use sour cream or Greek yogurt instead.
For more spice, add an extra jalapeno. Or you can increase the amount of Cajun seasoning to your liking.
You could also serve the dip with hot sauce on the side. That way people can customize their helping according to their own spice tolerance.
This dip also works great with chopped imitation crab meat.
For a large party, double the recipe and bake it in a 9×13-inch pan.
More Hot Dip Recipes
For another cheesy dip that is loaded with flavor, try making some creamy refried bean dip. Then be sure to have plenty of tortilla chips on hand to enjoy it.
Otherwise, if you like shrimp and spice together, shrimp jalapeno poppers might be for you. They are wrapped in bacon for an extra tasty treat.
Cajun Shrimp Dip
- 1 lb cooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 jalapeno
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped green onion or chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Roughly chop the shrimp. You want decent sized chunks left so you can see/taste it. so just cut each shrimp into 3-4 pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and dice it relatively finely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise and cream cheese until mostly smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, jalapeno, and spices. Fold in some green onions or chives if desired.
- Fold in chopped shrimp.
- Spread into 8-inch square baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melty and dip is heated through.
- If desired, top with a few shakes of hot sauce and chopped chives.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips or toasted slices of baguette.