This rich bundt cake is flavored with the perfect mix of lemon and honey. Top it with the caramelized honey glaze for an extra special treat.
Honey and lemon are a perfect match. They come together beautifully in this Italian Bundt cake. It is the perfect mix of sweet and tart and the texture of the cake itself is great thanks to buttermilk and sour cream.
The glaze melts in to take it to the next level of amazing. It is perfect for any special occasion.
I know it is hard to believe, but at one point MiMi was the dessert committee for our family. I seem to have taken that over in the last few years.
My cousins would rave over her sweets. My siblings and I didn’t know how good we had it.
In the early stages of this site, she was helping quite a bit and having fun making paired cakes and ice creams. On this particular day everything was Italian themed.
The dinner was a wonderful rolled beef stuff with all the good stuff. We finished the meal with this cake and lemon Italian ice.
I am not sure why we didn’t share the Italian ice recipe because it was delicious. If that is something you would be interested in, let me know in the comments.
There would be no complaints if we whipped up more so that we could share the recipe, of that I am certain. Just give us the excuse to need to do it!
Here is what MiMi had to say about the cake:
We recently made Maw-Maw’s Italian Braciole for our family dinner. Since we had an Italian inspired dinner I felt we should have Italian all of the way through dessert.
I found a recipe for lemon Italian ice that I decided to make, but felt like baking too. That’s when I found Lemon Pound Cake on My Recipe Confessions. I changed it up just a little bit and the results were wonderful.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- Cream butter and honey until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix in half of the buttermilk and then add in another 1/3 of the flour mixture. Then mix in the rest of the buttermilk and finish by adding in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased Bundt pan.
- Bake for about an hour or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn the cake over on a cake plate. Pour warm honey lemon glaze over the warm cake.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine sugar and honey in a medium pan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves into a liquid. Continue to cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally. Mixture will bubble and start to darken in color. Once mixture is a medium brown, stir using a wooden spoon and remove from heat. Carefully stir in the cream. Add butter and stir until smooth. Add salt and stir once more.
- Let sauce cool until just warm before using on the cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 1gSugar: 64gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.