These festive cookies feature a dark chocolate snowball cookie dough wrapped around a maraschino cherry for a fun Christmas cookie unlike any other! They aren’t too sweet and just the right size for a couple bites and a smile.
Melt in your mouth chocolate cookies with a cherry surprise in the center. These easy cookies are a perfect addition to a holiday treat tray. You will fall in love with these fabulous treats. They are quick to make and perhaps a little too easy to eat!
Ho ho ho! It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! Is it just me or is time flying? I could really use one nice clear day to catch up… but then I’d probably want one more.
So, we’ll just have to make due with the hours that we have. At least I have plenty of cookies to keep me going through the season!
A month long sugar high? It seems like there are worse things! 😉
It is hard to believe we are already on day 11 of our 12 days of cookies. I have found so many great ideas along the way.
My list of new cookies to try is growing every day. I will still be baking Christmas cookies well into the new year!
Have you had a chance to check out any of the other cookies yet? There is something for everyone!
I know I already shared a chocolate covered cherry cookie, but this idea popped into my head and I just couldn’t let it go. I took a basic melt in your mouth snowball recipe and made it chocolate. Then I wrapped it around a cherry.
Let me tell you, it worked every bit as well as I imagined. Mine had a dark, not to sweet chocolate shell.
You could easily dial back the cocoa a bit and replace it with the same amount of flour if you wanted a milder chocolate cookie. No matter what, they are sure to be enjoyed!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- additional powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Drain the jar of cherries and spread the cherries out the dry. They dryer they are, the easier it is to work the dough around them. Patting them down with a paper towel is encouraged.
- Cream the butter until it is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar.
- Stir together the flour and cocoa powder and then mix into the butter mixture.
- Work about a Tablespoon of dough around cherry to form a ball.
- Place about an inch apart on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.