Chocolate cherry chip cookies are inspired by my dad’s favorite Christmastime treat, chocolate covered cherries. Super fudgy cookies with white chocolate chips and bits of cherry give you the full flavor in a perfect chewy package.
Take two holiday favorites and smoosh them into one fabulous treat. Chocolate covered cherries and cookies unite into these fabulous homemade cookies.
The result is perfectly munchable, full of chocolate and studded with cherry goodness. You’ll want some on every cookie tray.
I just love Christmas cookies! I love making them and I love eating them.
We have to have the chocolate dipped Ritz crackers and peanut butter, chocolate covered pretzels and buckeyes just to name a few.
We only make most of them at this time of the year. So it is something to look forward to every holiday season.
As much as I love the traditional cookies, I also love to try new things. When I saw this recipe for White Chocolate Maraschino Cookies at Tabler Party of Two, I was inspired.
Pops loves chocolate covered cherries. So I couldn’t wait to put my spin on it and make it a chocolate covered cherry cookie.
My husband ate half the batch himself and some went on cookie trays. Unfortunately Pops only ended up getting a few.
Poor Pops! I’ll just have to make more!
This recipe makes 5 dozen cookies if you use a small cookie scoop, 3 dozen with a medium cookie scoop. For most folks, that may be enough. Apparently I need to start making double batches.
Though these chewy delicious chocolate covered cherry cookies remind me of Christmas, they would be fabulous any time of the year. You can always freeze some for later too.
Alternatively, you can scoop balls of dough onto a cookie tray and freeze them. Throw the frozen balls of dough into a freezer bag.
Those frozen balls of dough will be ready to bake at a moment’s notice. They may take an extra few seconds to bake, but you can bake them straight from the freezer!
I don’t know about you, but I am always on board for freshly baked cookies… so I’m off to the kitchen to make some dough!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved or rough chopped
- 2 cup white chocolate chips
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs until fully combined.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Chill for at least an hour, but up to two days.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon (a small cookie scoop) of dough onto a cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between scoops. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.