These cookies are inspired by my dad’s favorite Christmastime treat, chocolate covered cherries. They are dotted with cherries and white chocolate chips to give the full flavor and the fudge frosting makes them soooo good!
Take two holiday favorites and smoosh them into one fabulous treat. Chocolate covered cherries and cookies unite into these fabulous chewy treat.
The result is perfectly munchable, full of chocolate and studded with cherry goodness. You’ll want some on every cookie tray.
I just love Christmas cookies! I love making them and I love eating them.
We have to have the chocolate dipped Ritz crackers and peanut butter, chocolate covered pretzels and buckeyes just to name a few.
We only make most of them at this time of the year. So it is something to look forward to every holiday season.
As much as I love the traditional cookies, I also love to try new things. When I saw this recipe for White Chocolate Maraschino Cookies at Tabler Party of Two, I was inspired.
Pops loves chocolate covered cherries. So I couldn’t wait to put my spin on it and make it a chocolate covered cherry cookie.
My husband ate half the batch himself and some went on cookie trays. Unfortunately Pops only ended up getting a few.
Poor Pops! I’ll just have to make more!
This recipe makes 5 dozen cookies if you use a small cookie scoop, 3 dozen with a medium cookie scoop. For most folks, that may be enough. Apparently I need to start making double batches.
Though these chewy delicious chocolate covered cherry cookies remind me of Christmas, they would be fabulous any time of the year. You can always freeze some for later too.
Alternatively, you can scoop balls of dough onto a cookie tray and freeze them. Throw the frozen balls of dough into a freezer bag.
Those frozen balls of dough will be ready to bake at a moment’s notice. They may take an extra few seconds to bake, but you can bake them straight from the freezer!
I don’t know about you, but I am always on board for freshly baked cookies… so I’m off to the kitchen to make some dough!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved or rough chopped
- 2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 T butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Place mounded tablespoon sized balls of dough on parchment lined baking sheets and place in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Take cookie sheets from the freezer and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the centers are set.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.
- For the fudge, melt chocolate chips, butter and milk in a double boiler. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread over cookies and let sit out until the fudge is set. Then you can stack them and store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.