Yummy coconut pistachio macaroons are naturally gluten free, super simple to make and they taste amazing. They are chewy with a little bit of crunch and an optional dunk in chocolate makes them extra delicious.
If you are looking for a super simple dessert, you are in the right place. The mixture of coconut and pistachio makes for such a lovely flavor and the batter is ready to bake in about 5 minutes.
We recently hosted a small Christmas party for my husband’s business. One of the guys is dating a really nice woman who is gluten-free, so we wanted to make sure to have plenty of options for her as well.
Luckily they are super simple to make. We adjusted our existing recipe for condensed milk macaroons to make them gluten-free and nutty.
I have to say the resulting cookies are beyond delicious. The outside has a bit of crunch that adds to the crunch of chopped nuts.
The inside is soft and gooey. The combination of textures is such a perfect treat.
If you dunk the bottoms in melted dark chocolate you get another layer of texture and flavor. The results are practically perfect!
What is the difference between macaroons and macarons?
Macaroons are simple coconut cookies usually either held together with egg whites or condensed milk, or sometimes both! They are delicious plain but also fabulous with chocolate or nuts.
Macarons are a sandwich cookie with French roots. They have meringue cookies that are dried a bit before they are baked so they form a little foot on the bottom.
The meringue cookies are held together by a layer of buttercream or other filling. They are really light and airy.
More great coconut recipes
Coconut oatmeal cookies are light and tasty filled with all sorts of goodies including coconut, oatmeal and rice krispies. With a “cuppa” this and a cup of that mixed in, they are sure to win you over!
Chocolate and coconut goodness served up in a flaky shell, chocolate macaroon pie is the perfect fusion of the classic cookie and pie. The combination makes for one delicious dessert!
Delicious toasted coconut granola is so easy to make and makes and excellent breakfast, brunch or light snack. We love it served with fresh berries and yogurt!
Love this recipe? Give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review in the recipe card below!
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 14 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Grind pistachios in food processor to the point of small crumbs, stop before you get to a paste. Alternatively, chop the nuts as finely as possible.
- Stir together the chopped pistachios along with the remaining ingredients.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture onto lined pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely.
- If desired, dip the bottoms of the cookies in melted chocolate.